Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Should I buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Default Should I buy this car?

Newbie here. Am interested in a 73 vette, 4 speed big block which owner says has 63k miles but speedometer doesn't work and the engines been rebuilt, also new leaf springs, shocks, clutch, exterior is orange with good paint but the interior needs carpet, seats, etc. for $17k. If the speedometer doesn't work the odometer doesn't either right? Seems like this car has many more miles on than the odometer shows. What do you think. Thanks for the help.
Greg

Old 01-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Should I buy this car?

Well......number of miles is important but type of miles is more important. what shape is the under carrige in? are things like the steering loose or excessively worn. if things have been replaced or rebuilt and everything works as it should and the car was taken care of than number of miles doesn't matter. How does it run? Ride? Handle? any noise in the rearend? when was it last registered? is it original or have major parts been replaced. numbers matching. that doesn't really matter to me but it does to collecters and show judges. seams high to me but I'm a cheap skate.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

For 17g's?, I'd look around some.
There are some great deals out there!

try...
www.corvettetrader.com

Old 01-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

For 17g's?, I'd look around some.
There are some great deals out there!

try...
www.corvettetrader.com

And......http://proteamcorvette.com/ for comparison shopping.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:09 AM

Ditto, keep shopping. I might go 17k for a decent 73 big block vert, but not without the drop top... but then again, if the car is worth that to *you*, then it will make you happy.

bill.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

My Vette was a real piece of schmidt when I got 'er. Iprobably, no, I did pay too much for 'er, but then again, She's the one I wanted. I just kinda knew "this" is the one. [sm=drlove.gif]

Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 AM

Dood. How about $4k to save the poor beast from the crusher? Mine was well on the way to the recycler when I picked it up, but now (about $5k later), it is a member of the family (albeit with well over 200k miles). Heck, I'd almost feel bad doing some of the stuff I've done to this beast if it was in even halfway decent shape when I got it. This, to me, is more like those cars we all bought in high school and built / hacked / tuned / modified until we wrecked them while racing some other idiot on deserted back roads (rest in peace to my 62 chevy-ii nova, my 67 RS convertible camaro, my 70 z28, my 71 fastback mustang...). Damn, and they still gave me a license to drive... Probably counting on Darwin to catch up to me and remove me from the gene pool in a high speed fireball...

bill.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:59 AM

17k?[:@].......that's a little steep to me, especially with info and suspicions you have..more investigation is warranted here..Call around locally, look on ebay etc. for the type of car you have there for comparison pricing..I think you can find a whole lot nicer car that your mind will be at ease with for that amount of cash."Be patient" is the best advice I can give you, this is as much an investment ( @ 17K! ) as it about fun........Have fun and good luck, Russ[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 01-25-2007, 04:49 AM

Miles don't seem to match the condition of the car.Look around there are some really good deals out there.When you find the right car you will know.There won't be any doubt you will just know.Have fun looking and best of luck.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wrwalke

(rest in peace to my 62 chevy-ii nova, my 67 RS convertible camaro, my 70 z28, my 71 fastback mustang...).
bill.

......and my '70 440 6/pac RR, '70 SS 454 Chevelle, and a '55 Chev 2dr sedan that I built into a stock car. They're all dead and gone [&o], but I'm keeping the "Starship".

Quick Reply: Should I buy this car?