Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Stock/Original vs. Modified

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Default Stock/Original vs. Modified

What are the pros/cons of keeping a stock/original C3 stock/original? I have a '69 coupe that is numbers matching (engine, transmission, differential) original paint and interior.She's an L-46 with an M-21. I have upgraded the radio with one from Eckler's so I didn't have to cut the bezel and I have the original (which works great). I did pull the A.I.R. system off because it rotted out and was too expensive to replace. That's pretty much it. Any thoughts?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stock/Original vs. Modified

"I think it's up to you. Some cars are so complete it seems blasphemous to modify them but others are modified already. I have an old '65 Galaxy 500 no post fastback 390 4speed car that is absolutely factory complete and it would be a shame to modify it. on the other hand I have a '73 stingray that was modified by a previous owner so it would be very costly to make it original again...so I'm not. Like I said it is up to you.

What ever you do just don't crush them. now that is blasphemous."

As far as the pros and cons...I guess it would depend on the condition and value of the car in it's original state VS the same as modified. It has been my experience that a car that is heavily modified at a high cost will almost never get back what has been put into it.See it every year at Barret-Jackson.

It really depends on the car/truck. numbers of production , type mods, cost of mods, ability to return to original state of being,rarity when new, rarity now, condition, model, special edition, etc., etc., etc..There are always exceptions in both directions.

IE: old run of the mill Vega, 4 cyl, normal wear and tear of a 35 year old car, clean but not perfect shape...not worth much. Take said Vega and drop a 350 in it and it's likely worth much more. But on the other hand say you have an old Cosworth Vega in original condition with more than normal wear and tear...worth quite a bit. Take said Cosworth Vega clean it up and pull out the Cosworth 4 cyl and drop in a 350....not worth as much.

I believe your '69 would be worth more original than modified, but again it depends on what it takes to make it/keep that way.

Cheers

Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 AM

Blueshark, I appreciate your input, but I don't care about Fords and Vegas. This is a Corvette Forum.Not Fords. Not Vegas. I want to know how members feel about stock vs. modified Corvettes. That's all.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:04 AM

I think "shark" posted a very good starting point to this topic. (I think he used the Ford and Vega only as general examples stating the worth, both financial and personal preference, and not to discuss those makes and models or to ruffle anyone's feathers.) Like I stated in another post, I feel that the craftsmanship is the most important thing. In this way, you can do a 'Vette great justice eitherkeeping it stock or modifing it to the max. I was friends with a guy back in '73 who had a beautiful '65 with a convertible/ hard top. It was super clean and all original. He built it for C/Gas (NHRA) and put a Keith Black fuel injected 327 in itwith a Smothers Brothers rear and custom paint. I loved the car in it's original garb, but it was a beauty after being modified as it was done right.
My question for this topic is: What modifications are needed to get the mechanical part of the '81 'Vette rear (gears, clutches, U-joints, etc) to withstand about 500-530 hp? I'm going to start research on this question and any input would be greatly appreciated. This is something that I'll need to know in the not TOO distant future.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

I may be wrong, but to my understanding, the dif on a '81 is no dif than the dif in a early '70's BB Vette. I would think though, that if you're really goin' to pump up the horses, you would want to beef up the rear componants.

Keepin' it stock? As mentioned before. Greater value retention. You can though, drop 60g's and still have a 40g car. You have to spend your restor money very wisely.
Personally, I've thown out the idea of building an investment to sell later. I'm buildin' the "Starship" to be my car, andI really don't care if anyone else likes it.
Some will like it, others won't.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

mrggrm.......

Well, Excuse me for posting. I guess I'll just keep My f^%$kin' mouth shut ! Do what ever the hell you want with your precious" '69, semi original, VETTE". But you better put the radio back and get the A.I.R. system replaced, after all if it didn't come from the factory like that then it ain't original, now is it?. Your arrogance and condescension is not going to make you many friends around here. Stock vs Modified works for all cars. So the pros and cons are the same and respect is respect.I guess we better never talk about anything but vettes here any more. Vettes are not the most sought after or valuable thing on the market, and to be factual, not the best engineered nor built. The good folks on this forum do own cars other than Vettes.I own 18 vehicles and only two of them arevettes. I'll just avoid your posts. Thanks.

See there... didn't even mention another make at all.

Ya know what?......Disregaurd what I just wrote and read this........B M!

Sorry!.... but you ratteld the cage not me.

Where are all of these "twitchy, I'm better than you"@#$% coming from?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mrggrm

Blueshark, I appreciate your input, but I don't care about Fords and Vegas. This is a Corvette Forum.Not Fords. Not Vegas. I want to know how members feel about stock vs. modified Corvettes. That's all.
Ouch!
Wecould be talkin' about Radio Flyers, the concept is still the same.
Stock vs mod, works for guitars too. Still the same concept. At least he didn't mention V-dubs, or some rice car.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:42 PM

Blueshark, I'm not better than anyone else. I've never claimed to be. I may have gone too far in complaining about discussing other cars on this Corvette forum. I do realize that some forum members discuss them as an example of other problems that may have arisen. For that, I'm terribly sorry. Please forgive me. If I seem arrogant in discussing my car believe me it is not arrogance. Sir, it is pride. I'm proud that I have been able to keep it as original as I'm financially able to. As I'm sure most of the people on this forum knowit'snot easy or cheap. If I had bought the car as rolling stock with no engine or tranny it would have been much easier to do whatever I wanted to do with it. However, I do believe that some members of this forum are too eager to advise new members that have bought their first Corvette to modify their cars for performance without fully understanding the situation. If a person came on this forum and toldus that he had just inherited a '68, 427, Tri-Pac, numbers matching, good looking car, but he wanted to change engines.Whatwould you tell him? I'd tell himthat he's crazy. What would you tell him? Pardon me, but I don't believe that this forum fully discusses the pros and cons of modifying a Corvette. (by the way Blueshark there is a difference between pros and cons) I deeply respect the folks who've built their 'Vettes the way that they want them. I've never said that I didn't. When Texas Jim came on talking about an "original" car Ijust wanted him to be aware of the ups and downs. He owns it, he can do whatever he wants with it. I never said that he couldn't. You guys own yours, you can do whatever you want. But, when a person comes on this board asking advice from Corvette owners I think that we should give them all sides, not just one.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

O. K., back on topic.
Where is your heart? Is it in the sanctified realm of the "keep it stock", or do ya lean toward the sublimely radical. This is where the pros and cons really lie.
Nuthin' like a real clean original, but there are those of us that prefer "Extra Crispy".
The latter costs more to keep goin', gas prices and all, but the upfront outlay of cash for an original, puts them out of reachfor most people.
Ex:
If I had put out 17 to20 gs for a numbers matching car, I wouldn't have been able to afford to do any resto, lots of bucks can go a short way. So, I bought a clunker and am slowly bringin' 'er up to be a real ground pounder. Besides, I love workin' on 'er. Just my opinion, don't cha know, so it all rolls back to you, and what you like.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:17 PM

you can have it both ways. i have 68 327 bored 30 over competition valve job, 1970 LT1 370 H.P. heads, 750CFM edelbrock carb, edelbrock intake. dyno 430H.P. 420 ft. lbs torque. but i have orignal heads carb intake. i rebuilt all orignal parts, painted them ,and put them away. except for block being bored, i can put car back to original. with your 69 being so original, you could do the same

Quick Reply: Stock/Original vs. Modified