Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Stock/Original vs. Modified

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 PM
pg
Default RE: Stock/Original vs. Modified

Original or Modified. I have not read one post where anyone is telling me they just bought a Vette and they are in the process of removing the aluminum manifold and putting back the stock one, or that they are taking off the headers to put back the cast iron manifolds or anything like that. I think that 99.9 percent of us wanted a Vette and found one that was in our price range and we were happy with that. I've been at shows were I was parked next to a "Mint" condition Vette and the owner has put on 100 miles in 5 years, it was trailered in and he never drives it! I drive my car daily and have almost 30,000 miles in 6 years. Do whatever you please to your car and enjoy it! PG.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 PM

Its ok Dave ,I like your car.Everyone has thier own ideas whether stock or modified ,the idea is to enjoy the car and the friendship of thepeople who enjoy them. Personally my car was so trashed I don't feel the least bit guilty about modifying it. I want a car I can enjoy building then enjoy driving. I am not one to have something sit around and not use it. But that is just me. You all have a nice day now ya hear,and play nice !!!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM

PG i totally agree, most people want H.P. I know if i ever sell my vette, no one is going to take the aftermarket goodies off the motor and put the original parts back on. but they can if they want because i have the original parts, and i know by experiance it makes your car worth more money. i always remind people that a car is only original once! so build the hell out of it!! I hope to get 500H.P. out of my little small block, im almost there.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 PM

I agree with Copley, but I go one step farther... If I am going to modify a car that might have some value in the future, I generally "pickle" the entire engine (and trans if I am swapping that out too), and start the new "lump" fresh. For the cost of a new shortblock (about $1k or so), you have retained the original just as you found it. Most folks replace heads, intake, headers, carbs... about the only piece most folks keep is the shortblock. Well worth the extra $1k in my opinion, and the best part is that you can drive the car with the old lump until you finish building the new lump and just do a swap.

Now... Anyone have a spare Super CobraJet that I can swap into my Bricklin this winter? I'm actually thinking about pulling the 351w and FMX and throwing in an LS2 and 4L60 if I can't find a decent blue oval combo that I can shoehorn in.

bill.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Starship, I love all Corvettes. When I go to the shows I look at all of them. This one is my third. I had a '69 ragtop that was stolen soon after I bought it. I'm sure that I won't be as lucky as that Posten guy that got his '68 back last year. That was beautiful! The second one was totalled when I wasstopped at a red light and was rearended by a drunk driver in a four door Chrysler. But they've all been '69's. Iwas fortunate, I got her in '74. Paid $2900for her. It was a daily driver for twelve years. She's got over 400,000 thousand miles on her now. I've rebuilt the engine twice myself but the last time I had it done in a very good shop. And, no, it wasn't cheap. I feel I have an obligation to the car. She's taken me to a lot of places and never left me stranded. I'm not dissing anyone that builds their 'Vette. You're helping to preserve a legend. After all, there's only one true American sports car.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of us just can't leave well enough alone.
...If I just added this or that, I could get more horses. It's kinda like, who can spit the furthest? ( and look good doin' it! )

Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 AM

Starship. I get the meaning.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:36 PM

I feel like you guys are giving up on a topic that could serve everyone well. I figured that in due time, this topic couldserve asa reference for either direction someone could go with their 'Vette,-One reason I posted the "beefing -up the rear end of my 'Vette" question under this topic instead of starting a new one. The last two posts are like the last little steam left here. I don't think it's a problem of "no input." As a fly-on-the-wall, I think the topic started out as a debateon; which is the better direction.
How about; along with tips, people could voice their opinions on specifics like: what size jets run best in a stock "so snd so" carbon a '65 327 for ______application. Or, the "air-gap" intake is better than the Victor jr. on this certain engine for ________application. And also some other ideas from you guys on what would work besides "doggin' "each other. Anyway...how about it???

Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not givin' up, just not sure which direction to take at this intersection.
How about this.....
202 fuelie ( DOUBLE HUMPER ) heads made the SB a legend. The 202's, a good intake, a 650, and some headers were def mods that didn't cost that much, improved performance, and did not adversely effect value. ( I just happen to have a set lyin' in reserve, for the rebuild on my 350 that came out of the "Starship". )

Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 AM

My humble opinion on the topic of Stock vs. Modified is that it depends on the car and the owner. Personally, I bought the 69 L46 (sans engine) to build as I wanted it. I wanted a good dependable weekend or evening cruiser. I put a GM crate 350 in with a Weiand intake, Holley 670 Street Avenger, Summit HEI Tach Drive Distributor, Portell's Aluminum radiator with dual electric spal fans. Everything else was replaced. I replaced all fourwheel bearings, brakes (incl e-brakes), rotors, calipers, lines, M/C and booster, fuel tank, fuel lines, all suspension parts, body mounts, wiring harnesses, lights, vacuum lines and actuators, you name it, I replaced it. The body and convertable top are theonly things that I didn't mess with. Except the hood (Replaced it with an L88 to give additional clearance for the manifold and carb setup).It took 14 months to complete and I drive it all the time.I did the same thing with the 69 Camaro SS and the wife has been driving it since2001. Now for the original side of me. If the Corvette or Camaro had been nearly intact, I would have gone to the original side and kept them that way. When I found both cars, I was looking for a blank canvas to paint.

The value of modified vs. original is still dependent on the car. If you have a 69 base coupe with an automatic it will be worth less than a 69 convertable 4 speed with a non original big block. Value is and always will be based on what someone is willing to pay and is controlled by the market.

Quick Reply: Stock/Original vs. Modified