Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:46 AM
Default timing problem

Tried to set the timing on my 1980 and can't figure this problem out. I hook up the timing light and disconnect the vacuum advance. Cannot get the timing mark to even show itself while connected to the number one wire. However, if connected to the number 8 wire, or second one clockwise from one, timing mark shows fine. Thought maybe the wires were off by one so I rotated them all one space clockwise, the car wouldn't even start. Moved them back and it starts and runs and drives and even seems close to normal. Is it possible that the distributor is off a tooth when installed? OR what else?

Old 08-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Default RE: timing problem

Are you sure you know which cylinder is #1", remember, if you learned the firing order of a V8 on another make of car it might be different here - different manufacturers number their cylinders differently and different V8s have different firing orders anyway. If you are certain you have the cylinders identified right, then do you have the original engine or is it a newer/different one with a different firing order, etc.? Is the distributor original and installed right or backwards:::I've seen all sorts of really weird combinations and permutations of parts and stuff on older vettes, including some folks who shift the firing order (you can get cams to allow you to shift wires and do this) in order to stagger breathing for better manifold flow with certain intakes -- supposedly to get more power.

But I doubt it is anything like that. I'd just go with what works, using #8 seems to work, you say, so if you see the timing mark when using # 8 wire and it is about where it should be then I'd: a) remember exactly where it is unless you screw it up trying (b) and have to move it back to get the get to run, and b) use that to time it, as otherwise normal, adjust it, and see what happens.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the reply; The engine is original, I am not sure on the distributor. The intake manifold has the cylinders numbered on it with the drivers side front being number one. It is the distributor I think that is the problem.

I tried to set the timing on the #8 wire and it starts and runs, just not well, and I can't actually get it set completely since I cannot turn the distributor far enough to set it completely. This is why I think that the distributor was not installed correctly. Just trying to get any ideas before I pull the distributor

Old 08-12-2006, 10:18 PM

You might want to check to see if your balancer has spun. The timing mark should line up with the keyway. I have seen that over time the rubber between the outer ring and the hub breaks down and it allows the two peices to move. Either replace it or find top dead center and put a timing tape on it. You should be able to find the tape locally.Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

yuggster,
Find top dead center on the compression stroke for #1 cyl. and pull the cap on the dist. to see where the rotor is lined up. Then check the plug wiring for proper firing order. SB Chevy is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. (clockwise rotation) Set #1 wire in the middle of the two extremes of dist. adjustment and still lining up with the rotor. This will allow turning of the dist. for fine tuning your timing. This should get you up and running. If after doing this, your timing mark does not show in it's proper position, check your balancer like BB72 says. If the two piece balancer is bad, replace it. You don't want it to come completely apart while engine is running. A bad balancer can cause vibration, not good. (it becomes an "inbalancer") Hope this helps!