Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Trailing Arm Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Trailing Arm Bearings

Sometimes in the long run, it is cheaper to buy all new packages. It all depends whether your time is worth more than the price of the package of parts. If you do bring the items to a shop, you better find a really good shop as there isn't too much you can do if you get a screwed up job done with the exception of sueing or going to jail for beating the guy half to death, whichare botha can of worms. Compare the cost of; 1.tools, timeand parts, 2.labor and parts-providing you find a shop that you can 100% trust, which is hard, and 3.the complete parts package.
I feel that the choice will depend on the person who does the job/owns the car. I'd go for buying the tools and buying the parts needed as I KNOW I can trust MY work and I'd hate to pay for the job twice and have it in for some jerk who screwed me on the work.
All in all, go for what you can afford and come out with a good job where it will be done right the first time, and a route that you'll feel good with and about.
I have the same job just ahead now that the Holidays are over. I will say that I'm glad to see this post for that reason. Good Luck with the work. Always glad as hell to see someone who's "turning the wrenches" and making his ride a "part of him."

Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words Texas, I am weighing out my options now. I took both arms to a corvette repair shop just down the street from me, which by the way are very good at what they do, never worked on my car but know people whose car they have work on and they have been in business for many years. He can rebuild them for 150 each,just bearins and seals, which I thought was cheap. He's got all the right tools as well. I know it's a can of worms, new dust shields, studs, spacers. but hopefully not the spindle.
I'll look up that site that T Top spoke of and make a decision. The owner of the shop also checked them and said that they felt allright. And doing them on the car was not an issue, but then I would lose my wheels on some nice days until it is done. Lots of coins to flip.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Talked to another corvette mechanic who I had work ed with before , he told me $250 to rebuild, but gave me this web site in PA. http://www.bairs.com/suspension.asp$325 for the whole thing with new rotor or $275 with your existing rotor and they will turndown the runoff. Not a bad price, but of cousre there is shipping involved. Just good info on another web site to put in your favorites.
I am leaning towards the $275 cause my rotors are in real good shape, and it will come back all bead blasted and powder coated. Well worth any aggrevation in my garagemore time to go snowmobiling, just have to do a side job or OT to make up for it http://www.bairs.com/page3.asp

Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Now Scott, don't be workin' any side jobs, you know the Hall frowns on it and it takes work away from our contractors. I agree with you on farming out the rear bearing job for the prices you were quoted. I did all new rear end bushings, joints ect. but felt that the spindle bearings were in good shape, so those are the only thing I didn't replace. I could not have done it anyway without buying the right tools.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Here's another company that's been around a long time: http://http://www.vansteel.com/index...;SubGroup=1810

Interesting that they now have a coilover rear suspension setup.

Good luck on your rebuild.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM

Hey Buckshot, The old sayinggoes.............what the hall don't know, won't hurt them. Its all about the mighty dollar

Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 PM

I have folks askin' me to do side work but I normally pass on it, I've been fortunate here and haven't been laid off for four years, I average 45 hours/week, it's enough for me along with keepin' up the maintenance on my mothers house, my own house and my rental house, oh, I almost forgot, I teach part time at the apprenticeship. I sometimes don't have time to play with the Vette. But I understand your point about bringin' in a little extra fun money. Good luck with the rear end re-build.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 AM

So I just got my rebuilt trailing arms back from Bairs corvette. I can't wait to install these babies, they did a great job rebuilding them, like new. I have already installed new half shafts,front calipers with new brake lines, steering control valve and cylinder. I have a few more little items on my list to clean up before spring arrives, which is coming quick. Looking forward to wash and wax her before the first ride of the year Here are some pictures , will post more wheI install the rest of the parts, Batesy

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/A67325527E874FC9B848149EA94529CC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/E2A08ADDC38F4048B3BFBB1E42FAFFA0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/DA7F89FC086343DC9B0CA9BBDFBA5DC3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/AF546DA1FAA54F84A68CD211E188B9CA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Hi ,
following this topic.
last time that I jacked my car at mech ( for a complete underside check before ordering the needed parts) we found that all the 4 wheels had a certain smallplay at the bearings ( by shaking each wheel). My mech sayed that he would just tighten and fix the wheel bearings. But today I have found something in the Corvette owner's manual ( i don't have still the service one). please read the last 5 lines in the pic.
So what to do? tighten the wheel bearingsor not?
thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/6949/C51BB83FD09A4185B52C9AA62E7EB298.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Aldo, from my experiance, no wheel bearings should not be overtightened. there should be little play or slop! tighten nut and then back off a touch and install cotter pin. If you tighten too much it will cause prematuer bearing failure.
If your mech. tells you he can tighten and all will be good, I think he's wrong, thats a sign that the bearings might need replacing. If I'm wrong someone on this forum please correct me!

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm Bearings