Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Trailing Arm Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trailing Arm Bearings

You're right on. Also should rotate the wheel as you tighten and then back off to the first castellation on the nut and put in cotter key. I once read a procedure that used a torque wrench but don't remember what the torque was. Another reason to own a Service Manual.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 PM

The front wheel bearings can be tightened with the nut but not the rear. The rear bearings are also tapered but have a spacer in between the two that has to be setup with a dial indicator and is set by adding or removing shims in between the 2 bearings. The nut just locks every thing together. There is only a few thousands of an inch play. I would have to look it up to see exactlly but you just about feel it. If you could move the wheel in and out its time to redo the bearings.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 PM

Thanks,
I'll leave my wheel bearings as they are...
the play is very small and the same for the 4 wheels, and only if I shake the wheel left-right/up-down, not if I push-pull in -out the wheel. Also I hear no noise coming from bearingswhile rotating by hand the wheels , but I have to check this thingbetter.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

You might go ahead and re-pack the bearings with grease and adjust out the play. It wouldn't hurt. Preventitive maintenance goes a long way in holding off future problems.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:59 AM

All back together, Can't wait to see how she rides now. I'll have to start a new list of things to fix or upgrade for next year.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/D654C7F93A364125890AEC7A9F733A99.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/6111568DFACD4DC9821C4D32B71ACCE0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Hey Batesy80,

I notice in the picture of your trailing arm that the spring height adjustment bolt does not sit squarely in the cup. My car does this too, but on the right side not the left. I also notice on my car that the right rear wheel sticks out about 1/2 inch further from the body than the left does, and also that the rear monospring is closer to the inner left wheel than it is to the inner right wheel. What are your thoughts on these alignment observations?
By the way, your trailing arms look great - and thanks for the link to Bairs!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DeeVeeEight

Hey Batesy80,

I notice in the picture of your trailing arm that the spring height adjustment bolt does not sit squarely in the cup.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Isn't that because it's up in the air? When you lower it down and the spring straightens out, the bolt will go perpendicular and seat it the cup. At least that's the way mine works.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 PM
pg

That came out terrific! Two thumbs up on a job well done. You'll really be happy with the way she handles when you go for your first ride. I think that part of the fun is knowing that you repaired your Vette yourself. Thanks for the update and have a great day, PG.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:04 AM

DV , Shark is right . It looks crooked cause the the arms are hanging free, they will straighten out when I lower it down and of course sitting on the suspension. You should have your alignment checked out , all four wheels. That's what brought my project on, they couldn't align the rear, due to the shims being so rotted they couldn't free them up to make a change. The only other thing I can think of is maybe your frame in bent?? Which I hope not. When I get my alignment I'll pick the guys brain on that one and let you know. Thanks for the good feedback guys, It 's a good sense of accomplishment when you work on your on toys, and you know you won't cut corners.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 AM

DV, get a tape measure first and make sure your mono leaf is in the center of the rear. you might just have to loosen it up and shift it over a bit.

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm Bearings