Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Transmission question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Transmission question.

Yes, inside the yoke and on the outside of the output shaft.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Rickcusaf

I'm finishing up the work on putting in my new torque converter and I'm right about to re-connect the drive shaft and re-hang the exhaust, but the yoke on the transmission doesn't seem to want to pull back to where it was. Is it just really tough to do or is there some trick I'm missing? Oh and on a fun side note. One of the splicers on the drive shaft came off so I got to spend 30 mins putting all those !@^#^# pins back into it and back onto the drive shaft.

-Rick
If those needle bearings fell out, I thinkin' you didn't have them properly greased...

Are you talkin' about the needle bearin's inside the cap on the U-joint?

Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

I always get "U" joints that have grease zerts.
I agree even tho there are those that say they are weaker due to the hole. I found that if you install so that the hole (with zerk) is in compression when vehicle is going forward, it's really not much of a factor.

You will probably have to invest in a needle injector for your grease gun as some are impossibly located and a gun just won't fit. [:@]

Old 11-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 73shark

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

I always get "U" joints that have grease zerts.
I agree even tho there are those that say they are weaker due to the hole. I found that if you install so that the hole (with zerk) is in compression when vehicle is going forward, it's really not much of a factor.

You will probably have to invest in a needle injector for your grease gun as some are impossibly located and a gun just won't fit. [:@]
I have noticed that a lot of non zerked "U" joints have a flat spot in the body where you can drill and insert your own zerk. I don't suggest that you use the press in type though, thread that sucka.
Weaker because of the hole?.....hmmmm........maybe, but if you're gonna hit it hard enough to blow out one with the zerk, I bet cha blow out the one without the zerk too. What is the variable here, 10 lbs. of torque, 20 lbs of torque, 50 lbs of torque,.......? I say, use the ones with the zerk, and give 'em a shot of grease at every oil change. Not so much that ya blow grease out the cup dust seals, just a little squirt. The grease doesn't have to drip on to the floor, O. K.?

Old 11-22-2007, 03:18 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 73shark

I agree even tho there are those that say they are weaker due to the hole.
Possible.

In theory, a perfect circle in a plane (one dimension) has zero effect on integrity. In 3D, there's even more room for error.

EDIT: In the U-joint, the external input force is linear, but force transfer is toout-of-plane. Interesting. Gotta' see if we got any engineer/owners in C5/6 forum...

Old 11-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaker due to the hole??? Just buy a high quality U-joint and it'll never happen to you.
cwb, In the early 70s, I used to go to the drag races with three guys who had an H/MP (NHRA) '63 Falcon. It was a straight 6cyl. that turned out just over 500 hp and ran 11.12-11.15 consistantly. Itwas anNHRA record holder.It came out of the hole at 6800 rpm. (That's what the tach read when Eddie would drop the clutch at the green light.) I saw them blow clutches on a couple of very hot days at Raceway Park in Englishtown, N.J.after letting just alittle too much air out of the tires, but NEVER did they ever have problems with the U-joints-which had grease fittings.. At the track, you see rear end gears blow, axles brake and clutches fly apart-(especially back when 4 speeds out ran automatics),but rarelydid you see guys with drive shafts hanging in the safety loops after blowing a U-joint. Again!!! This is no place for "rocket science." LOL

Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

The weaker U-joint w/ a zerk was probably an urban legend anyway but it doesn't cost anything to put them in with the hole in compression.