Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

vacuum advance

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: vacuum advance

Here's some good info on timing: http://www.lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/v...101Article.pdf

http://www.lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/v...%20ADVANCE.pdf

http://www.lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/v...t%20Timing.pdf

If you decide to get a timing lite, recommend getting one that has an adjustable timing **** on it like this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...d=timing+light

Eliminates need for timing tape on balancer. Yeah it's expensive but you get what you pay for. I know as I bought several cheap ones and threw them away. [:@] Besides if your engine ain't timed right, [] nothing else performance-wise will be 100%.
Just my $0.02 Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask questions as there are a lot of wise heads around here.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Banned

Here's a link to Holley's website and the instructions for the 650. Look at illustration 7 for the vacuum advance port, this is where your vacuum line should go, from the distributor to here.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...199R8020-3.pdf

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 AM

I have only received excellent help here the whole time I have owned the vette. I am going shopping! Thanks for everything and hopefully I get to drive it soon.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 AM

borrow a t light ,its the only time [no pun] you will ever use it

Old 12-21-2007, 01:26 PM

Are you using "regular" gas? Go to the next higher octane, if you already haven't. I use mid-grade as regular, depending on what brand gas I use, gives me alittle bit of a rough running.
Yes, the vacuum gauge as already spoken about can also be used to set the timing. Vacuum readings can tell mucho stories about your vehicle, if you know how to use it, anda good onecomes with good instructions/info sheets. With the year 'Vette you have, it should be easy to get rid of the pinging; with what gas you use, the timing/carb adj.(over-all good tune-up.) With some messing around and getting to know the engine and it's compartment and surroundings, you'll beable to work out most things on your own w/ alittle assistance from the members here.
I always feel great reading all the good replies that the site members contribute. Out of all the auto sites that I frequent, and that's quite afew, this place is the friendliestwhere people here are most likely to jump right in feet first with all the help. In other sites, there are quite afew really sharp auto techs w/ mucho experience, but who also can be ****ty and super insulting to beginners. This place is the opposite.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Ya know, text book mumbers are a great start.
But to get the most from a time and tune, ya need to concider some factors regarding where ya live.
For instance, A car tuned at sea level will not perform as well at higher elevations. So, ya got to tune for the area where you will do most of your driving. Temp comes into play also. I tune dif for hot summer weather than I do for cold winter weather. Lean 'er out a little when it's hot, go richer when it's cold. A timing light is not a "use once and forget it" item. I'll use a light to get close, then "ear tune" to my preferred "feel" of performance.
Dwell meter, vacuum guage, and timing light are all good to have on hand. And if ya have points, add a feeler guage to the list. You should have one to set your plug gaps anyway.

A little trick Istumbled on......
A match book cover is about .019 thick. You can use it to set your points.
Double it over, and you have around .038 to set the plug gap.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Well, I bought the timing light and discovered the timing was way off. It runs 100% better and no pinging. The front seal on the tranny is the next project.Thanks for all the help.