Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

'Vette Restoration Guides

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 'Vette Restoration Guides

"Back in the Day", my Dad and I relied on "Motors" manuals. I still have a few hangin' around. Haven't seen a new one for years, so I don't know if they are still published. I ran into "Hemmings Motor News" a few years back, it had some good infofor research.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Rich,
You're right. And you express the exact feelings that I have when it comes to the information literature and the direction to gofor up-keep and mods when working on my 'Vette.Out of the many Chilton manualsI have, I do have one leather hard cover: "Chilton's motor/age "Professional" Emission Diagnostic Manual." It's like the Good old Chilton's that we remember.
I know that I'm not into matching numbers, at least for my car,and I had always felt that the importance of matching numbers for the 'Vettes after '71 was much lessdue to the smog pumps in '72 and other anti-pollution devices after that which ran performance (hp and torque) numbers downward. Prior to the anti-pollution devices, the 'Vette always had the best engines available and the newest hot Chevy engines always debuted in the 'Vette. Doing more reading on 'Vettes after buying mine, I read two different articles that stated the matching numbersARE less important for the 'Vettes after the anti-pollution devices began in '72. Both articles stated "less" important, but not "unimportant" for the collectors and the "all original" enthusiasts. As for my '81, when things start to wear out, I'll go with the 2004R trans as it's the same length and spline as the TH350 where I can use the original drive shaft and beef up the engine for some real 'Vette-type power. I feel that a 'Vette should run like a 'Vette, and not get blown-off by ie; stock pick-ups. LOL Sad but true. As we all know, the older 'Vettes are worth more money with matching numbers, but I have no idea if that holds true with the C5 and C6 years.
C3 Starship,
Speaking of "Motor" manuals, I have two; the 1980 Auto Repair Manual (covers '75-'80 f/cars) and the 1979 Truck and Diesel Repair Manual (covers '66-'79 f/trucks). They both cover the American made vehicles from tune-up to complete break-downs on ie;transfer cases.About 2,000 pages each. Fantastic detail, written and pictures. The Auto Repair Manual has the same great detail on the ('75-'80) 'Vette suspension, differential and axle assy. etc.as the GM manual w/ even nicer pictures. My brother gave me those books, as he bought afew sets at an auction when a big shop, Bob & Ott's Automotive in Croton, New York, went out of business after fifty some years of operation. My brother also got some of the older manuals for the 30s and 40s cars, some really neat stuff in them. The Motor manuals are some of THE greatest, you're right.If they're still being made, theyhave to be expensive as heck.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Texas, will the 200 handle a small block torque? I thought that was the tranny GM used on the compacts. Could be wrong tho.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 PM

I hope Texas Jim means 700R4. The 200 is junk and was used behind a v6 usually.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 AM

The 2004R is rebuilt by two different after market companies (that I know of) and can hold up to 800 hp. with the modifications. This has been a well-known fact for quite afew years. It's actually cheaper to build than the 700. I posted the two articles, in CarCraft and Classic Trucks,awhile ago when we were talking about transmissions. Infact, one of the companies sells the parts needed for the mods. I'm sure that there are a number of other trans. shops who do it by now. I know of two here in Killeen who do them. If you can build transmissions, it's an easy thing to do. No machine work,only installing pump, all clutches, servo valve, throttle valve, and second gear apply band. Valve bodies w/ the casting numbers ending in 7 thru 12 are the best ones to use. The gearing in the 200 is better than the 700 both for off the line and top end. And the gears are closer. If you do any reading on what people are using in street rods for the past quite afew years, you'd have come across this trans. numerous times.
Junk Rich, not even. The cross member is the only thing to change (only slightly) when you go from the TH350 and 2004R. Another good reason for the application. I have two of these transmissions, one in my Caddy (not the modified job), and the mods areregular installationsto do by yourself. Like I said, if you can rebuild a transmission.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM

That's the first time I heard of this. That's what I get for playing with Mopars all the time! Never to old to learn something. I thought the only way to go was with a turbo 400 or a beefed up powerglide.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 PM

I still like the TH400, super tough in stock form, and I've had afew power glides in '62 Chevys w/ 283s. The Torque-flight trannys are great also. I'm with you on them. But to change out the TH350 from a stock application, that 200 is the way to go due to no big mods on the stock pieces of the car. When I had a '62 Impala, who would have thought that the powerglides would be used inall-out drag cars in the future when 3 speed autos were the new thing.