Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

water soaking the floorboard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Default water soaking the floorboard?

I have a 75 vette and drove it home in the rain when I picked it up several weeks ago. I washed it the next day and noticed that my floorboard on the driver's side was sopping wet. I believe it happened when I washed it but I hope its not serious. Does anyone know what could be causing this?I have a few ideas but I hope its not anything more than a drain clog. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM
pg
Default RE: water soaking the floorboard?

Hi jsholm2 and welcome again, there are lots of ways that water can get into a C-3, the worst case is that the windshield frame is rusted at the bottom or that the factory sealant has deteriorated exposing three holes that let water run into the car, but before we go there take a look at all the weather stripping and make sure it still works. Then pull off the kick panels and make sure that area is not clogged with leaves and make sure that the drain hold at the bottom is not blocked. You can open the hood and pour some water down the side of the fender and make sure it drains out and does not overflow thru the kick panel area and into the car. PG.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:19 PM

Could the water have kicked up from the rain that you drove in? Are the floor boards metal or fiberglass in that year? Just a thought.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM

it should have metal floorboards. pg, where about are those three holes you mentioned earlier. mine was leaking pretty bad when i bought her. it wasleaking from several places where the factory seam sealant dried and cracked letting water in.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 PM
pg

The three holes are at the bottom left and right of the windshield pillar and hidden under the fenders, they were filled with factory sealant. The Chevrolet Corvette Restoration Guide by L. Porter shows them on page 56. What kind of sealant did you use before? PG.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 AM

I used an automotive seamsealer. ivewater tested it a few times and got caught in a down pour and had no water leak so all is good for now.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 AM
pg

Thanks Phill, I try to get that sealer, I have a leak on the left side that I have to fix, PG.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

hi pg, icouldnt find it a the local autoparts store i ended up getting some at work from the body guy. you should be able to find it in an automotive suppy store. one thing that the glass guy told me was not to use a silicone based sealant as it traps moisture and causes RUST.

hey js, have you had a chance to check your vette out. mine was leaking pretty bad when i got her. the water was coming in through the seams of the cowl and also through the side down the kick panel area. you can buy the book pg mentioned at most on line vendors, im pretty sure ecklers carries it. good luck.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:03 PM

no I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'm hoping its not too serious. The frame thing scares me obviously. The best case scenario is that the drain is just clogged. Thanks for y'alls advice.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:12 PM

pg, how do you get those kick panels off the car. I'm not sure I know exactly what that is?

Quick Reply: water soaking the floorboard?