Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

What about a "site member relay" this coming year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Default What about a "site member relay" this coming year?

I suggested in one of the topics that we have a "cross-country relay" sometime this coming year. Understanding that time and money are not unlimited resources in everyone's life, we could relay in groups from the east coast to west or vice versa and touch base with one another through one another. ie: from NY and NJ over to Pennsylvania or Kentucky, then from there to like Tennessee or alittle further south, then to Texas or Kansas somewhere, to Arizona... We could link up, drive no more than a short day in one direction, touch base stopping in on and/or driving along with each and every member on the site. Maybe even using a member's house as a meeting/resting/eating/change-up point. When I was a member of a running club, we used to relay very long distances, going 15 or 20 miles per group, and inturn touch base with people over the whole distance of the run. Even running and carrying a small pack, you can pass items along to another member who you never see but who is also part of the relay. Ultimately, it links and unites us all and allows us each to touch base with one another. And it would only take a day out of our schedules. Even if we meet in groups on a weekend day and then one man make the trip to the next group's spot. In one of many different ways, this can be done easily and with little money or time cost.
What do you guys think? I feel it would be well worth it!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What about a "site member relay" this coming year?

That's a very intersesting concept. I think it is doable. Putting it all together will take asome time, but hey, I like the whole idea.

"The Great Corvette Forums, Coast to Coast Relay"

We would need to get members to commit to their participation, and not break the chain.
So Texas, would you be willing to put this together?
You'd need help from others of course.
Think about it, and post up a plan of action.
"The Devil is in the details"

( I just hope I can have the "Starship" ready in time. Heck, I'll trailer 'er if I have to. )

Old 12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
pg
Default The Great Corvette Forums Coast to Coast Relay!

I like it, thats a great idea. Last year on the telephone poles, around Charlotte, NCwas an ad "Corvette Mountain Trip" 8 of us met at 8 AM and took a 2 & 1/2 hour drive to the foot of the mountains, had lunch. Made a lot of new friends, some of us stayed over night and made a weekend of it, some drove back the same day.
That was a terrific weekend, top down weather, twisty roads.
So if your starting in NY take I 95 to I 85and welcome toCharlotte! PG.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Banned
Default RE: The Great Corvette Forums Coast to Coast Relay!

This is an interesting idea! I'm game, count me in!

Hey PG, got any friends at the Charlotte raceway? Some Corvette track time would be awesome!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-09-2007, 09:57 AM

I'm glad that someone showed interest in the idea. You guys did say that the planned meeting of last year fell apart due to distance/time. With the relay, the time will be minimal and distance will be within reason.

Yes, I'll get a game plan together and post it in a short time. And we will have alot of time to plan. The relay can be at the end of the summer just prior to the cool weather coming in the North East (something I'm very familiar with as I grew up-to 18-in New York.). That gives us up to ten months to get things together. The plans have to be made in accordance with all of the participant's convenience. I also want to plan this where we make our trips on weekends only, not involving any weekdays. It can be done.

Does anyone work every weekend?

***Please post your "Town/city and state" of all who want to participate, sowecan check to see who can link up together and where. If you only "think" that "maybe" you'd be interested in doing this, please understand that "the more the merrier" as alot of participants will not just make the relay much much better, but also easier in many many ways. And again, you have ALOT of time to plan the day.

We can zig-zag any which way we need to in order to include and make it work for everyone involved. We can also make the relay route over any roads that we think may be "cool" in any way. ie: like this "Dragon's Tail" mentioned in another post.
Just give me a week or two and I'll have something worked out as to the basic idea.

***PLEASE, any and allsuggestions as to ideas and/or routes of any sort are needed and would be greatly appreciated. This relay is"in no way" mine, it's "our's" and we need to do it (ALL) together.

When we get a basic plan together, then we can designate people/jobs as needed.

Think about some sort of "item" that everyone can have a piece of as to link everyone. I thought of those neckless' that usually you see when the soldiers go to war where the soldier gets one half of the heart and his girl the other, and they wear them on a chain around their neck. Ofcourse I'm not suggesting a heart, LOL or a necklace, but maybe a Corvette emblem of some kind and whatever size to cut up in some unique way, have a piece for everyone involved in the relay and in a quick/easy/inexpensive/quality frame (maybe) or something like that. A puzzlethat we all have a piece of. If and when we ever meet again, we'd beable to piece this thing back together-and maybe with the date on it. I just want to link us all together in the best way possible, "through one another" which is a "cool" way to do it in my opinion..

More soon...thanks.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

It comes to mind, that this relay would have to run over a period of a few weeks. Each weekend, another link could be made, until the chain is completed.
I'm eager to see this come together.
When you're ready, Texas, start up a new thread, and we'll try to keep on track.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'm in. My house is open here in Dickson TN. Sounds good.