Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

problem with door panel coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Default problem with door panel coming loose

my driver door panel keeps coming loose at the top. I put it back on and it pops back off the door. How can I remedy this? it is not like other door panels it slips ove the lip of the door and has the little pop things at the bottom. Help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1204/BD1D48E8BFEF4BF190AFB5C643EAB760.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Default RE: problem with door panel coming loose

94corvette,

My husband found a fix on another forum. Parts would have been free if he had just looked in the garage. But he didn't and it cost him about $2 at Lowes. Fixed his door panel problem and saved $500 because he was going to buy a new door panel.

Good Luck!

C4 door panel attachment repair -- 1 of 1
Date Published: 2003-09-23

Submitter's Name: Jason Sette
Email Address: j-sette@yahoo.com
Corvetteforum.com Member Alias: 94vette

Finally, after 4+ years of ownership, I have repaired the dreaded floppy door panel syndrome that has plagued my car. You too may be suffering from this disease, where the top of the door panel pulls off the door frame and kinda hangs there, flopping around, only be held on by a few door screws and pegs at the bottom. The reason this occurs is because over time, the door panel top edge will pull away from the door frame top edge (due to heat and wear & tear), and the panel will never fit back on the door frame because it is warped. The solution is to make the door frame higher in order to once again fit inside the top curved portion of door panel. I went to Lowes and purchased a bag of four 1" x 1/2" zinc-plated corner braces and screws by National (# 38613 227385 under the UPC bar). They are "L" shaped braces with a screw hole on each end (each end is 1" long by 1/2" wide, so both ends are identical). Removing the door panel, you will see a row of several 10mm screws running the length of the top of the door frame. These are what we will use to affix the corner braces to the door frame. Select 2 of the these screws (I used the screws that hold the felt-covered window rub brackets -- one is at the back of the door, and the other is about the middle of the door), unscrew them (10mm socket), put one "L" corner brace over each hole in the door frame, and reattach the screws. Again, put 2 corner braces on each door. The "L" braces should face the inside of the car. Then I took a hammer and chisel and took a few whacks to the corner braces in order to bend them inward SLIGHTLY (towards the inside of the car) to conform to the shape of the door panel. Not too much whacking, please, as you only want them to bend about 10 degrees -- any more and the door panel will slide off. Now reattach the door panel by guiding the top of the panel onto your new braces (attack the door frame from above, lowering the door panel over the door frame and "L" braces, making sure to line up the edges of the door and screw holes). The curved, top edge of the door panel should fit over the door frame and the "L" braces will now fit inside the curved portion of the door panel to hold it on. Then reattach all the door handle parts and screws. That's it -- good as new and tight as a drum. Total cost = about $4 and an hour of your time!