Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

What's The Story On Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Default What's The Story On Doors?

What's the story on doors? I can find numerous articles on how to replace a handle or a hinge pin, but when it comes to door replacement, or shell fabrication - zilch.
It just seems like some areas of a C3 are top secret and informationis more readily available at at a nuclear lab.

Granted, I'm not the brightest light bulb in the room & my computer skills border on illiterate, but even I should be able to come up with more info.

Are the doors shellstoo complex to try and doany kind offabrication work? The salvage yard is the only route?I can get more info on vertical replacementdoors than I can on my own.

At this rate, GM is going to have to come up with a sidepost for them so I can ropethem shut.

Any comments or links would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
pg
Default RE: What's The Story On Doors?

Hi old mac, your right there is no information in the AIM or anyplace else that I looked, maybe someone who has done some body work will chime in.

What do you want to do to your doors? PG.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM

pg: Both door shellsrotted pretty badat upper front, right about where the doors meet the weatherstrip extension. To look at them, it looks terminal, but I've seen guys work miracles on tri-five chevys.

My biggest problem right now is that I can't get my head around this thing due to lack of info. I can invent or create my own amswers & solutions, but I'm trying to do the right thing with this car. And, that's the frustrating part of it.

It's like I just finished with the complete gas tank install. I can cuss & turn wrenches just like the next guy, but I worried over doing it right. I don't want a trailer queen, but I still want it somewhere near right.

(As an aside, never go anywherenear your water heater when you're doing a gas tank job. The heatersensor will smell the gas odorand turn the heater off. You'll wonder why it went out; continuouslytry to re-lite it whilewearing the same gas odored clothes, to no avail; and, the plumber while charge you $55.00 to explain it allto you. Not to mention trying to removethe dirt, rust & whatever that is all over your face & hair, in that ice cold shower)

Based on the limited knowledge I have right now, it looks like the salvage yard is my best bet with shells at about $250. But then, I'm still oblivious to the downside on that move. Any way I turn, I feel like I'm walking into an ambush.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Can you post pictures of the bad spots. By "shells" are you talking about the outer skin or the inner box structure? The outer skins would be relatively easy fabricate andreplace. The inner box would be a bit more involved but could be done.

What year C3do you have? Again, pictures would be helpful in pointing you in the right direction. Perhaps a nice set of salvage doors would be the easiest route.

Check with this guy for doors: www.elmersauto.com

Cheers

Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a shop that specializes in Corvettes in your area?

Might give these folks a call: http://www.contemporarycorvette.com/

Old 07-03-2008, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

I understand that pictures help a lot, but I'm an old fart and I'm lucky I can even use a computer without them revoking my computer driver's license. Maybe I can eventually get one of my kids to school me on uploading pictures.

As far as resto shops, County Corvette isn't that far from me and they bill themselves as one of the best in the world. I'd be kind of embarrassed to even show-up out there with my low-life car. Maybe I can call them and ask about who they lay off their schmuck work to.

Additionally, Contemporary isn't that far away either, if I wanted to go pick something up.

I'll check out Elmer too. And yes, it is the shell I'm talking about.