Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

where do I put the fusible link on Alt. wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Default where do I put the fusible link on Alt. wire?

Do I put it on the end closest to the alternator post or closest to the battery. I am feelin' closest to the battery, but I know that on EVERY other car 'cept Corvette they are down by the starter. There is no connection between the Alt wire and the wire coming into the battery box, no 12v, don't ask me how I fried it, I am just going to fish another wire through the frame rail. :P

It burnt out last Fri. night after I gave it new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Default RE: where do I put the fusible link on Alt. wire?

Clayton, the only one I know of on my '78 is at the starter, I think there are two fusible links at that location. The main junction for the whole car is the solenoid post. It also shows this on my wiring diagram.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 PM

When I rewired my '68 Caprice for interally regulated, there was a little pot metal X lookin' connector, this is where the Alt 12v reference wire (#2 on the alternator plug plug), dashboard, headlights, and battery charge wire all connected together. Is there one of these that anyone knows about on this Corvette, the alt charge wire runs into drivers side frame rail along with a big 'ol thick black wire that is grounded somewhere. Maybe they should all meet at the starter, but it seems weird it would go through the frame first, although there was some wireloom under the drivers door that ran towards the center of the car, maybe it crosses over? It got dark and cold, and I couldn't finish cuz I hate the cold and I'm scared of the dark (plus I hate layin' on gravel under the car)!

Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM

What year is your car?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM

Oh Ya, almost forgot, suck it up man, the cold and the dark will put hair on your chest. Or like a good ol' boy boss of mine would tell me-he'll make a man outa' me before my sister.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM

'81

Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM

It shouldn't be much different than my '78 diagram, the only other fusible link near the alternator is in the line that feeds the "under hood light". Is the '81 injected or still with carbueration?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:01 PM

Still carbed, I looked at an '82 with the injection and it was even cheaper, but I would rather have the carb, even if it is beige...

Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Ya', I'm still pretty old school, rather have the carb to deal with than guess at all the electronics with FI. So the only fusible links that I'm finding are the two at the starter and one at the "under hood light". What else can I help you with from the wiring diagram?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Where does it say the Alt+ wire connected, the big red 10 guage on the Bat terminal of the Delco-tron. I'm assuming it runs right to the Battery + post.

Quick Reply: where do I put the fusible link on Alt. wire?