Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Default where to start?

hey guys, im getting a beutifal 77 red vette from a friend of the family. it will be my first american car, ive read the history on it in this forum, and cant wait to start on it. but can you inform me on some basic need-to-knows about thse cars? i already ordered how to build a 350 book but i want to start learning now. how hard are 383 strokers, what compresion rebuild is most popular, why did the 350 smallblock in these cars put out such little hp compared to others of diff. generations? what models were offered, how strong are the auto trannys, are the rear diff.'s locked? o man i could ask ?'s for hours but ill leave these to yal why i go and research more, thanks!

Old 12-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Default RE: where to start?

Congratulations on having a really great car.

My first advice is twofold: 1) get your hands on everytying you can read and research,
2) don't jump too quick. Strokers, mods? yes, eventually. First, REALLY GO OVER THE CAR. Before going off the modify it, make sure that you know exactly what you have (not too many 25+ year old cars are completely stock, some are far from it: a neighbor two doors down brought home a '76 two years ago that had a 1986 350 in it, with some serious mods), and make your first priority to bring what you have up to a good standard. Are the brakes, suspension, steering, etc., in prime shape? Lceam up the interior and fix any little thing that is broken, first. while its boring, spend the $$ now. I've known guys that have spent all their $$$ ona great engine only to put it in a car where a front strut suport rusts through and the suspension collpases, etc. Such a shame.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:43 PM

Good comments from Lee Willis. Remember you are buying a car that is 25+ years old and a lot of components may need to be repaired or replaced. Go over the car with a fine toothed comb. Make a plan.

Do you want to lay the car up in a garage for the next 2-3 years until it is completed or do you want to drive it as you work on it?. What will the repairs cost? How much can you afford to do? The engine in the car is a chevy small bolck one of the strongest and most workable engines ever built. Do you really need to change it now?

Most Corvettes come on the market after being stored for years with the greatest intentions. They all were going to be completed when the owner had time. Due to circumstances- money, time, knowledge, or other reasons they were never completed.

Take all of these items into consideration and make a plan. If you go off into this project without direction you will get lost.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 77vette

why did the 350 smallblock in these cars put out such little hp compared to others of diff. generations?
On thinking about it and re-reading you message, I decided to add a note about this question.

It put out less than previous years of vettes partly because '77 was during the period the engire auto industry was learning to deal with emissions limits and they only way they knew was to really back off on power. Cars during this period did not have a lot of power. But this only partly expalins it. In 1973 the industry went to net instead of gress ratings, an engine that was rated at 300 HP in 19972 would have been rated, under the new system in 1973, at 240 HP -- same engine, just as much real power to the tires, just as fast. so you can't compare Hp ratings with earlier generations.

It put out a lot less than later generations of Corvette because Detriot learned how to handle emissions without dropping power, mainly through fuel injection, digital ignition control, and better head/intake design. Later engines, even though they were still rated under that new net system started in '73, made 300 or even 350 Hp again.

But, back to the pollution controls and limits. Frankly, for this reason, power during the period 74-82 sucked - these were among the least powerful, poor responding cars ever -- it wasn't until 84-88 that GM really got a handle on power and emissions. THIS IS ANOTHER REASON TO LOOK OVER YOUR CAR!!! Almost no one who has a 74-82 vette leaves the engine stock, because there is SO M
MUCH to gain by updating it or modifying it to somewhat later standards. So it is very unlikely your car has the original motor with its original equipment and tune (if it does, its really a very rare car). It's probably been modified, perhaps heavily. Check carefully.

And for the record, the basic engine in your car is one the greats of all time. The chevy small block V8 is REALLY good - no need to start out thinking you are going to throw in away. There is a universe of aftermarket parts so numerable it will make your head swim. With well selected mods it can make all the power the car can handle.