Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Windows and body flex

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned
Default Windows and body flex

Apparently my 79 has a bit of flex to it. My passenger side window makes a horrible cracking/popping noise during driving when it is rolled up, whether 100% of the way or if I roll it down a hair it still makes the noise. It sounds like metal hitting glass. I do not see any places on the door frame, windshield frame or t-tops where it could be hitting on anything. Any ideas?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Windows and body flex

Hmmmmm,......
How about the inside of the door, toward the top. There are two pieces that stablize the lower part of the window, just below the top of the door. They have a felt like cushion and are supposed to stop window rattle.
That's my best guess. [&:](mine are shot, weather stripping too,and the windows rattle a lot.)

Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned

I actually took out the anti-rattle cushions on the drivers side door and restored them with a little strip of foam pipe insulation and the 3M weatherstrip adhesive . It made them nice and fat again. Geez I love pipe insulation and 3M adhesive. I'll have to see what the ones on the passenger side door look like. I also think that the outer door edge glass weatherstrip is in need of replacement - Doc Rebuild has 'em. There's another item for the "while I'm at it" list.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Banned

How is your door alignment? I actually improved my door alignment dramatically by adjusting the door striker post and the top door hinge. The striker post requires a star wrench and is simple to adjust. The upper door hinge is accessible behind a little metal access plate on the inner door skin, held in place by 2 screws, also and easy job to do. I was able to take all of the sag out of my drivers side door and lessen the gap between the door and fender too. Now the body lines are tight and in line with each other, no more embarrassing mismatched door and rear quarter panel.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
pg

My drivers door glass makes a noise when it's all the way up, so I have to deal with that someday. The door has to be open or the window won't go up all the way up, it gets stuck about an inch from the top on the front weatherstrip so that has some wear on it.
The right window dosen't go down evenly, one side is about 1/4 inchlower than the other untill you move the glass up than it gets even again.
I have new window regulators, new hinge pins and bushings, new power window rubber conduits, new A pillar weather strip and outside door weatherstrip, now all I need is the inside door panels and I'll do everything all at once. PG.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I'm goin' to put on the Lambo door kits. I'll save the adjustments for that time. Ya, I've got a list too.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
pg

The "adjustments", that was a never ending project, trying to get the glass to line up again the first time I change the weather strip, forgetaboutit! PG.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

The weatherstrip on mine had been replaced by a P.O., done nicely too, but I have the same problems with the windows. I have a diagram from a Corvette Central catalog that shows the window adjusting points and tells which ones do what. I'll scan it in a day or two and post it here.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]