Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Worthless "restoration" manuals

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 PM
ax
Default Worthless "restoration" manuals

Well.....Just got the two "restoration"manuals that I ordered."Original corvette restorers guide" by Tom Falconer and "Corvette restoration guide" by Richard Prince. As far as actual restoration goes, these book are basicly WORTHLESS.
Both books are a good read, and the Tom Falconer book is a nice hardbound "coffee table" type with alot of good color pics of both cars and components.Both contain tons of info and pictureson paint and interior codes, factory options, and where to find casting and "matching" number locations. The thing that really bugs me is they call these a restorers guides? Only the Falconer book has any "almost"restoration info,andthe only thing they explain is how they sent all the parts somewhere else....the frame to get blasted, the engine to get rebuilt, the body to get repainted and how it took them forever to put it back together.....and that was justthe last 4 pages out of the 144 pages in the book!!!!
I am halfway tempted to write these guys and tell them they shouldn't label their books as "restorers" guides!They are more like buyers guides. If your looking to buy a C3 in original condition and want to know what to look for these books are for you. If you want tips, helpful ideas, or tecniques that help you work on the car....look elsewhere.
Just my 2 cents (and I got a pocket full of pennies).

Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Worthless "restoration" manuals

As far as a resto guide, I usethe shop, wiring, andassembly manuals. Then, when I get totally confussed, I come here.Can't buy a better book, and the price is perfect for a poor ol' country boy.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 PM
pg

I agree Richard Prince's book is to NCRS for me, but you will learn a few facts from it. I still like How to restore your Corvette by Richard Newton, at least he goes thru many of the steps we get into.
Chevrolet Corvette restorationguide by Lindsay Porter gives us some good "How TO"S"
Some you'll like more than others but you will learn a little from all of them. PG.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM

I would have to agree with you. It shouldn't be called a restoration guide. I found a half a dozen useful tips in there but I expected to be able to actually use it as a restoration guide. I wonder, is there really a true restoration guide book? The assembly manual,at least the one I got, leaves a lot to be desired. I guess theres nothing like checking out a done car and asking questions and taking notes!
PS the How to modify you Corvette book is about as useful as the restoration guide.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
ax

Yea...I have the shop manual.....and the haynes.....I was just looking for something that was a little more hands on than the shop manual, and more than just nuts and bolts like the haynes. With the glass body, rear end, and front suspension being as unique as they are, you would think someone would have a true "hands on" restoration guide insted of just rehashing the basic factory specs. But I guess if there was such a book there wouldn't be a need for a forum like this.......(just looking for the silver lining)