Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

" the wave"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Default RE: " the wave"

Hey guys.I say,WAVE!!! So what if some clown in a newer Vette doesn't? Evidently,they need some education in the finer points of the long tradition the wave has always been.We MUST enlighten them,if we don't,well,the wave might disappear altogether.And we don't want that,now,don't we. Joe.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:33 PM

Actually about 3 years. My dad has been driving a vette four about umm....35 years....and he still consideres the wave very important!!![&:]

Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Main Entry: 1wave
Pronunciation: 'wAv
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): waved; wav·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English wafian to wave with the hands; akin to Old English wæfan to clothe and perhaps to Old English wefan to weave
intransitive verb
1 : to motion with the hands or with something held in them in signal or salute
2 : to float, play, or shake in an air current : move loosely to and fro : FLUTTER <flags waving in the breeze>
3 of water : to move in waves : HEAVE
4 : to become moved or brandished to and fro <signs waved in the crowd>
5 : to move before the wind with a wavelike motion <field of waving grain>
6 : to follow a curving line or take a wavy form : UNDULATE
transitive verb
1 : to swing (something) back and forth or up and down
2 : to impart a curving or undulating shape to <waved her hair>
3 a : to motion to (someone) to go in an indicated direction or to stop : SIGNAL <waved down a passing car> b : to gesture with (the hand or an object) in greeting or farewell or in homage c : to dismiss or put out of mind : DISREGARD -- usually used with aside or off d : to convey by waving <waved farewell>
4 : BRANDISH, FLOURISH <waved a pistol menacingly>
synonym see SWING

Hey ya'll [sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=hiya.gif]

Old 04-07-2007, 01:10 AM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Main Entry: 1wave
Pronunciation: 'wAv
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): waved; wav·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English wafian to wave with the hands; akin to Old English wæfan to clothe and perhaps to Old English wefan to weave
intransitive verb
1 : to motion with the hands or with something held in them in signal or salute
2 : to float, play, or shake in an air current : move loosely to and fro : FLUTTER <flags waving in the breeze>
3 of water : to move in waves : HEAVE
4 : to become moved or brandished to and fro <signs waved in the crowd>
5 : to move before the wind with a wavelike motion <field of waving grain>
6 : to follow a curving line or take a wavy form : UNDULATE
transitive verb
1 : to swing (something) back and forth or up and down
2 : to impart a curving or undulating shape to <waved her hair>
3 a : to motion to (someone) to go in an indicated direction or to stop : SIGNAL <waved down a passing car> b : to gesture with (the hand or an object) in greeting or farewell or in homage c : to dismiss or put out of mind : DISREGARD -- usually used with aside or off d : to convey by waving <waved farewell>
4 : BRANDISH, FLOURISH <waved a pistol menacingly>
synonym see SWING

Hey ya'll [sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=hiya.gif]
[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]

What he said !!!!

GAWD I love being a Corvette owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:00 AM

To wave or Not to wave, that is the question......
I remember my first vette in 1972 (a 67 convertible) living in So. Calif. Owning a vette was cool..driving a convertible was cool... vette drivers waved... most sports car drivers waved.... At that time there wasn't a lot of vettes on the road compared to now..

Back then it was just plain Fun driving a vette and when another vette was encountered on the road The Wave was a way of sharing that fun andrecognizing someone else that enjoyed driving a similar car..

Fast forward to2007... I mayhave a few more miles on the odometer now, but that fire inside is still burning ashot now as in 1972. I feel pretty damn lucky to have a vette again. It doesn't matter if it's a C1, C2, C3, C4, C5 or C6.. It is still a CORVETTE..

I wave as a means of recognizing somebody else that is a little different from the masses.. someone that picked a vette over the current "in" car.. whatever the flavor of the day is... Lexus, Honda, BMW, MBZ, Toyota, CRX, etc. etc.

vettes 4ever

Old 04-07-2007, 12:04 PM

2nd to that.[&:]

Old 04-07-2007, 04:47 PM

I have always waved. Almost ALWAYS get a return wave along with a big smile

Kinda makes me feel good inside

The way I see it, you can't have enough friends and there aren't enough friendly faces on the road these days!!!

Maybe it's just the Wisconsin in me...

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

KEEP THE WAVE ALIVE

Old 04-08-2007, 01:56 AM

I got this off a Biker web site but it still fits in I think. Read and enjoy.

[align=center] "The Wave" [/align] Between Arizona Bike Week and the Day Ride features for the site, I have had the opportunity to do a fair amount ofridingover the last couple of months. And as you know from previous articles I am usually in some sort of deep profound thought about my surroundings. Lately I have been trying to figure out the structureof waving at other riders.And I have found thatthere seems tobe a lack consistency in this activity. This whole idea came to mind when I saw a painting called Highway Handshake by Dawn Holmes from Prescott Valley. It was a really neat picture of two motorcycles waving while passing on Hwy 89A Click Hereto see this painting so you willhave a picture of what I am about to say. [/align] [align=center] "The Types Of Wavers" [/align] It seems as though we now have at least5 different types of wavers:
TheFirst Waver:
This is a guy who enjoys being a waver and waves at everybody. He starts waving at least 3/4 of a mile away to make sure that you will see that he waved and is expecting the return wave.
The Timely Waver: The guy who waves at just the right time to be cool,but allows enough timeto get a return wavewith no effort on your part.
The Late Waver: The guy who is actually waiting for you to wave first, but since you didn't, the guilt of being a non-waver is too much to bear so he waves at the last possible moment. If you try to give the return wave you are forced to look like a retard trying to get it done.
The Return Wave Only Waver: This guy is really not a fan of the wavebut willgive the courtesy returnwave.He will rarely be a First Waver andis much closer to a Non-Waver than a Waver.
The Non-Waver: This guywouldn't wave to Pamela Anderson even if she was riding topless on the back of a Fat Boy.

I'm sure you've experienced every one of these wavers somewhere along the line and maybe even fit into one of these categories, you know who you are. It is sometimes unsettling trying to figure out where you are going to fit in with the oncoming rider. If you area First Waver and throw out that big howdy-dooty toa Non-Waver, you've got a big mottsa ball hanging out there. You feel somewhat offended and spend the next couple of miles trying to figure out why you were snubbed. (If you are a Metric Cruiser rider you usually go right to the motorcycle race card to answer that one.) A few of these instances can actually make you become a Return Only Waver. And if you are a First Waver, where do you draw the line as to who to wave to? Do you wave at cruisers only? Do you include the sport bike riders? They are usually Non Wavers anyway. Will a Vespa rider get a wave? Or does it just have to be a V-Twin, 600cc or above? There are too many variables and way to much to compute while doing 50 mph toward an oncoming 2-wheeler. [/align] [align=center] "The Types Of Waves" [/align] There are also 6 different types of waves:
The Crossing Guard Wave:
This is the open palmed, arm bent at the elbow, fingers pointed straight up wave much like you saw in the Dawn Holmes picture above.This wavecan also be mistaken as a right turn signal by thetraffic behind them.
The Stop Traffic Wave: This is the arm straight out to your side, open palm facingforward like you used to do out of the back windowof your Dad's 57 Ford Fairlane. This wave can also be confused as the slow down sign for trouble ahead.
The 1 or 2 Finger Wave: One of the most popular waves. This is the arm fully extended down to your side at a 45% angle with 1 or 2 fingers pointing to the ground. A perfect example of this wave is in the picture linked above. Although, this is really not a good wave to a guy riding a Harley. Heprobably thinks you are telling him some parts just fell off.
The 4 Finger Wave: This is done by leaving your left hand on the handlebar but unwrapping four fingers and pointing them straight out. You will usually see this from the Return Wave Only rider. Comes back to that lack of motivation with the whole waving process.
The Prom Queen Wave: This is with the left arm fully elevated and hand moving side to side like you actually know the person you are waving at. This is a rare wavebut can usually be seen coming from the passenger on a Gold Wing.
The Nod: This is a relatively new response in lieu of a bona fide wave. This is usuallyexecuted by the rider that is not sure where he fits in. Not quite aFirst Waver but not really a Non Waver. He is looking for his own identity in the waving community. [/align] [align=center] "The Protocols" [/align] What do you do when thereis a group of say...5 oncoming riders? Will one long wave take care of the whole group? Or does it require 5 individual waves?
And what about poker run waving? We have to put a moratorium on the return route poker run wave. I feel like I need to put a little rubber hand on my handlebars that pops out when Ipush a button to take care of these days. And lastly, what about the going the same direction wave? Does this require a wave or a nod? And if you are passing on the left side do you wave with the right hand or come across the body with the left, which could also be mistaken as a Prom Queen Wave? These are all questions that Enquiring minds need to ask.
[/align] [align=center] "The Conclusion" [/align] [/align] [font="comic sans ms"]I've asked a lot of questions, so I decided to do my own scientific test to see just howthe statistics wouldgive us an idea of where we are. I know in different situations you would get a different result. But here it is. I did the loop of Cave Creek Rd. and Scottsdale Rd. onthree Sunday afternoons and was a Non Waver.I found that there are consistently only 20-30% First Wavers out there. Which says that there are 70% Non Wavers. I did the same as a First Waver and found that there are 70% Return Wavers. What does all of this mean? Not a dog gone thing. It just means that you have had another look at some of the profound things that go on in my mind while riding. But thenext time you are waving, I'll bet you'llbe trying to figure what category the other guy is

Old 04-08-2007, 02:23 AM

I'm a waver. Makes me feel good when the like acknowledge each other. I work Heavy equipment, if I am driving truck, Iwave, if I am on a piece of equipment, I wave and most of the time the like wave back. Wave and feel good and proud I say.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Some people are just snobs. Mainly the ones that think waving is "stupid".

Quick Reply: " the wave"