Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

$10k to spend...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Default $10k to spend...

Ive been doing alot, and I mean alot of reading over the last year or so while I saved up a nest egg. Now that I have it is time to move forward. I think I have my mods all planned out just wondering if I can get some input from the ones of you that have done similar upgrades in the past... Cause the more I read the more confused I get. I bought the car to learn to work on engines, andhave a project car.I learned alot helping my father with his project car, but unfortunatly he lives really far away now, so I got my own project going.

There will be a couple of stages to the upgrades.

The Prelude:
1984 Vette, with the Cross Fire injection
140K miles
Burns oil, valve seals leak,
Leak down test show leak in number 1 cylinder
Body - Even though the paint is dull, and pretty much needs to be repainted, the body is in great shape, and the frame is strong, with minimal rust. Got a Nice sounding "PING" when Tapped with a hammer in several spots.

Interior isshot- Most of it just needs to be re-uhpulstered, My aunt runs an uhpulstry shop, and I helped her as a kid, I should be able to do this, if not, I have the back up plan.. My aunt

PaintisShot - Its ok, I have sprayed many cars before, I can do this my self. I have access to a paint booth etc..

So I need help with the engine. I may bring it to the track now and then, but it does need to be street legal in Missouri, and we do have inspection laws..

Yeah, I know I could just buy a better vette for 10k, but thats not the point. The point is I want to learn, and I came across the car cheap since it was in such bad condition. So please no, Put the 10k down on a new one post please..

Part I:
Pull the engine - Should be out tonight..
Rebuild Engine and beef it up, Stroked out and bored out .040 (New Rods / forged pistons /rings) the whole 9 yards
Replace Cam
Replace Heads (ported and polished of course
super charger? I have seen post in the past about a stealth super charger that isnt very tall, and only requires to get a custom hood with an extra 1 inch of clearance, but I lost the link... any one have a link, Brand and model of this?

I self ported the the intake manifold

What I know..
Now I know the more air in and the more air out, the faster the car will go because the computer keeps the same ratio of AIR:Fuel ratio.

The CAM controls valve timing, but I dont know what degree would give a good HP gains... Now I know there are a bunch that will fit, but what degree is the stock CAM?

I have a mechanic that is going to help me put the parts togather, but hes not a performace gear head, so we need some assistance picking and choosing the right parts.

Part 2:
Exhaust
I want to go headers, true dual with no cross over if possible, and definatly the muffler eliminators.. but we have emission inspections here, and I dont know if its ok to use the muffler eliminators

Is that going to have a massive rumble where its almost annoying to drive that car?because after I get it done, I will have to drive it 600 miles to my dads house to show it off

Are the muffler elimnators "Emissions" Friendly?

Can any one suggest a "racing" cat... Because they are required here

Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Default RE: $10k to spend...

Exaust. True dual. Got that with 0 cats. YAY! Got muffler eliminators YAY. I doubt youll pass emissions with no mufflers if its a visual inspection. If not then you should be ok....Id get long tube headers by hooker with the **02 bung EGR**......Yawn on emissions. I pay under the table.Whats an extra 30 bucks.Catch my hint here. Second if your changing all the seals out, use synthetic oil. Lubes better. We had a big debate here a week or two ago might look into that. Reosance can be a problem around 2500 RPMs. Get some DYNOMAT in there thru the whole car and a bigger audio system. That should help. Now I know someones probably going to say I am wrong or like you said dont post buy a new vette....I think its a good idea what your doing. Why buy a fixed up vette. I like modding it myself to make it what I want. Its your car, you make it like you want and stand out from the crowd! Goodluck. Post pics thru the process. Id be interested in the engine tear down rebuild. Are you going to up the transmission too? If its an auto you going to a higher torque converter?

Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Heres some header information:

Hooker 2149 (with O2 bung, AIR pipes, and EGR, ceramic coated)Hooker 2151 (no emissions, no bung, uncoated)
TPiS allows use of the stock rear alternator support, Hooker does not. This will eventually destroy the alternator with the AIR removed. Only difference in these brands is fit & finish otherwise.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM

Hot rod for the win!!!!!

bought rod for some, just not me

The visual inspection is only "IF" the car puts out to much emissions... I was thinking if I can get a racing cat, that wont clog the exhaust too bad, that it would definatly cut the emissions..

The worse part, I heard a "rumor" (I havnt confirmed this yet) that after august, 86 and older wont need emission inspections any more.. If that is true, I may hold off till the end vette season before I start my mods. However, this project all started when the car failed emissions last year, and I started doing some checking, the motor definatly needed a rebuild, and well call me Tim The Tool Man, cause I want more power I mean, heck its already apart, it would seem like vette abuse if i DIDNT!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM

Technically here....ITS ILLEGAL anywhere to not have catalytic converters. Well mine are removed and I pay the man there because he knows and he CAN but wont report me....But they dont do emssions test here on anything below a 96 because of the computer stuff. To old to mess with. If you remove the A.I.R. pump and keep the cats, you will pass emissions IF your cats are warmed up enough. Once everything said and done, you will need a custom tune. If you go without the oxygen sensor you need the code taken out. Im basing off all of this info off of others cars so......its all a toss up if it works on your application.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 AM

Careful guy's this could be a wind up!
Ridiculous theories about powering vettes,
Emissions facts are crap,
why run O2 sensors with no cats??
You don't bribe state employees/do you?
Woofers make the car faster???-It only seems that way because we all accelerate to get the hell away from you and open that gap!
A higher torque converter adds speed?
Blackvette needs to find a girlfriend,or whatever but he spends too much time on here talking crap,for sure.
Fact: cross pipe in exhaust as close as you can get to removed cats will improve breathing and reduce resonance.

Invest $15 .75 in John Lingenfelters book-tuning small block chevrolets and there would be no reason for all this chit chat.
MECH do you post on any other boards?
Would like to stay in touch but this one's too childish for me.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Lets get one thing straight here . Subwoofers dont add speed, I was saying that without cats and or muffelrs ITLL BE HARD TO HEAR THE DAMN MUSIC. Second a higher stall torque converter doesnt add speed, why dont you quit being a dumbass and do research. Um gee I think hell need a higher stall so if he drags....DUH. Also a D44 because umm...the 36 will not hold the power and shred with slicks on the back.....ONe more thing....I have a gf! I havent spoken **** on here. Im merly expressing MY OPINION of what I think of what I LIKE....Ill do w/e I want...I am trying to show him some pointers. I unlike you have research.....For more infomation you can read MY WEBSITES below my name on here.....because I did research and know SOME! Your a troll man. You need to be banned. You may be a old time hotrodder and know alot but your crap talking has gone on way to far. Insult my dad insult me insult my gf? You dont know anything about me. I havent said anything non-true. Yea, I pay 30 dollars extra to get past the visual inspection. Ok, second off I have 0 cats and a......what do you call it...umm.....02 Simulator. True duals and no mufflers Do add horsepower. Second off a X-pipe does loosen some restictions. He wants true dual from my understanding. FYI, to the original poster...Catco and Random Tech are excellent highflow catalytic converters! Sorry but vrooom is being a jerk since hes got here to me for some reason. Wtf, sub woofers add horsepower oh yea....That was a brilliant comment. I was saying that again because due to hte louder noise he needs inside insulation to keep heat and noise out and a louder system to hear music! Just because you have two nice cars dont make you some genius. Im learning alot. The one man on here who has helped me is mech259. He is nice enough to take the time to explain stuff. You need to chill out!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 PM

One more thing. Since its so childish for you here....LEAVE!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:54 PM

WELL SAID BLACK86!!! MANY PROPS TO YOU!!!

You have been patient beyond your years for far too long my brother[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

I have tried to reason with this "vrooom" guy myself. He needs to get his left hand out of his pants and learn how to be a human being. Age does NOT equal wisdom.

I for one do not know why he wastes our time with his negative rants. Insulting people's family etc... is just flat-out WRONG[sm=lame.gif][sm=lame.gif][sm=lame.gif]

Keep you head up and keep learning and keep the wave alive!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 PM

BTW, vrooom, I have NEVER lost my temper or slammed someone on this or any other site b4. Takes a lot to push my buttons[:@]

Good bye and good riddance...

Quick Reply: $10k to spend...