Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

$10k to spend...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 PM
cwb
Default RE: $10k to spend...

ORIGINAL: drewber

Ive been doing alot, and I mean alot of reading over the last year or so while I saved up a nest egg. Now that I have it is time to move forward. I think I have my mods all planned out just wondering if I can get some input from the ones of you that have done similar upgrades in the past... Cause the more I read the more confused I get. I bought the car to learn to work on engines, andhave a project car.I learned alot helping my father with his project car, but unfortunatly he lives really far away now, so I got my own project going.

There will be a couple of stages to the upgrades.

The Prelude:
1984 Vette, with the Cross Fire injection
140K miles
Burns oil, valve seals leak,
Leak down test show leak in number 1 cylinder
Body - Even though the paint is dull, and pretty much needs to be repainted, the body is in great shape, and the frame is strong, with minimal rust. Got a Nice sounding "PING" when Tapped with a hammer in several spots.

Interior isshot- Most of it just needs to be re-uhpulstered, My aunt runs an uhpulstry shop, and I helped her as a kid, I should be able to do this, if not, I have the back up plan.. My aunt

PaintisShot - Its ok, I have sprayed many cars before, I can do this my self. I have access to a paint booth etc..

So I need help with the engine. I may bring it to the track now and then, but it does need to be street legal in Missouri, and we do have inspection laws..

Yeah, I know I could just buy a better vette for 10k, but thats not the point. The point is I want to learn, and I came across the car cheap since it was in such bad condition. So please no, Put the 10k down on a new one post please..

Part I:
Pull the engine - Should be out tonight..
Rebuild Engine and beef it up, Stroked out and bored out .040 (New Rods / forged pistons /rings) the whole 9 yards
Replace Cam
Replace Heads (ported and polished of course
super charger? I have seen post in the past about a stealth super charger that isnt very tall, and only requires to get a custom hood with an extra 1 inch of clearance, but I lost the link... any one have a link, Brand and model of this?

I self ported the the intake manifold

What I know..
Now I know the more air in and the more air out, the faster the car will go because the computer keeps the same ratio of AIR:Fuel ratio.

The CAM controls valve timing, but I dont know what degree would give a good HP gains... Now I know there are a bunch that will fit, but what degree is the stock CAM?

I have a mechanic that is going to help me put the parts togather, but hes not a performace gear head, so we need some assistance picking and choosing the right parts.

Part 2:
Exhaust
I want to go headers, true dual with no cross over if possible, and definatly the muffler eliminators.. but we have emission inspections here, and I dont know if its ok to use the muffler eliminators

Is that going to have a massive rumble where its almost annoying to drive that car?because after I get it done, I will have to drive it 600 miles to my dads house to show it off

Are the muffler elimnators "Emissions" Friendly?

Can any one suggest a "racing" cat... Because they are required here

Consider an alternative...

Part I: Pull the engine.

Part I a: Pull the tranny, while the motor is out. At 140k, it needs service. The X-fire injection is a torquer, and torquewears ontorque converters. You don't want fresh power in front of a tired tranny.