Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

1984 Crossfire Hot Start/ Bogging at High RPM Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Default 1984 Crossfire Hot Start/ Bogging at High RPM Problems.

Hello everyone, first post over here. Wish it was under better pretenses, but I need some advice about how to handle the problems with this vette.

The hot start problem is the main one that bothers me. We have done a full tune up, plugs wires, and the car runs fine until it reaches full hot temp. When it does, it starts surging at idle, and you can keep it alive for another min or so playing with the throttle, but eventually it will die.

I have pulled the intake off to check the injectors when this happens, and the secondtbi (the one from which fuel returns to the tank, aftergoing through the first injector)starts losing fuel pressure right before the problem starts, and eventually dies completely. After this, the injectors get no fuel whatsoever until everything cools down.

Considering this, I thought vapor lock, and have used wet rags to keep the lines cool to see, and it seems to help keep it alive. Knowing this, I am wondering what the best way to insulate the fuel lines would be. It seems to be happening where the lines pass the Exhaust manifolds, and since this is where it gets the hottest in the car, am wondering how you all would approach wrapping the lines properly. The fuel filter has been replaced already.

The bogging problem is another weird one. If you drive it like a normal car, it works perfectly fine. When you get on it, go WOT, it will bog down and almost stall anytime above about 3000 RPM. I was thinking either bad tune, or a bad fuel pump that just cannot keep up after a certain point.

Any advice is appreciated, and thanks.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1984 Crossfire Hot Start/ Bogging at High RPM Problems.

Sounds like fuel pump. Have you checked pressure?