Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

4+3 Transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Default 4+3 Transmission fluid?

Does anyone know how to add transmission fluid to the 4+3 Doug Nash transmission? Mine is leaking and the gears are getting louder. I can't get it into the shop for another week or so and I need it for transporation. I'd rather add more fluid than risk additional damage.

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Default RE: 4+3 Transmission fluid?

The transmission and the overdrive units are seprate units. The Super T10 4speed uses 2.4pints of 80w90w gear oil. The nash 3+4 uses DextronIII. Both units have plugs on the driverside,very easy to get to if the car is on a lift, but tough to fill on your back. The car should be level so not to over or under fill either units. The overdrive unit is delicate and should be check often, mine was burned up by the last owner. and cost alot to repair. The T-10 which you probaly have the noise coming from might be leaking at the seals on the shifter levers.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Well I took it to a service station today and the overdrive trans fluid was full. The gear oil was only about 1/2 a pint low. The gear noise is getting worse and I'm starting to think that the repairs are going to be costly. I'm trying to find a way to get to work because I need to park it... driving it is only going to decrease the chances that I'll be able to get out of this without a bill for several thousand dollars. Right now I'm not scheduled to have it in at the Corvette Paradedics until Tuesday. I'm trying to get in there earlier....
If I need to rebuild the 4+3 trans, at what point does it not become worth it? They suggested, if I have to go this route, a 5 speed (forget the maker) transmission. Of course this is at the cost of around $5000, a complete rebuild on the 4+3 would cost me around $3000. If I can make the necessary repairs for around $1000 I'll probably do it, but at what point should I just change this thing out? I'd love to keep the car original, but I just see myself having problems with this transmission again in the future.
Any comments or suggestions would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 PM

If the overdrive part of the transmission is not burnt and shifts ok keep it. The 4+3 is two transmissions in one. The T-10 is a good reliable trans, but if somebody ran it out of oil mostly likely you should park it. Your most likely have a bad bearing. I presonally own the same transmission. On the highway its great, but around town the overdrive pulls the low speed shifts down. If you love your car have a estimate done w/ a new clutch thrown in while its apart or you could get a used 6 speed ZF. I have seen them w/ 30k miles used for $1200. They are direct replacement and most come w/ the shifter. You are going to have to research the purchase so not to be overcharged on either option. Repairing the exsiting trans might be the cheapest.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 AM

The overdrive seems to shift fine. Whether it's in an overdrive gear or standard the same noises occurs. For some reason 4th gear and 4th gear overdrive sound almost completely normal. Luckily I've been able to keep it in that car for 75% of my driving. All the fluids were within normal range when it was checked yesterday. I would not be surprised if it was a bad bearing, and I think the clutch replacement is probably a good idea. I should have some answers Tuesday so I'll post more info when I get it. Thank God my old man pulled through and let me borrow his Lexus SUV for a few days so that I can park the 'Vette in the garage until it's time to see the Paramedics.
Thanks for your help so far... I'll definately think about your suggestions when I'm faced with the options!