Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

700R4 and shifting in the city

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Default 700R4 and shifting in the city

We just got our '87 convertible the other week and I am falling further and further in love with this car daily... if that is even possible. These cars are much better than I ever dreamed they would be!!! Thank you Chevrolet....

Our 700R4 in the car was recently rebuilt before we bought it. I *believe* it has a shift kit in it. The owner we got it from stated at sale that the tranny was rebuilt with better than OEM parts.

So, in an effort to try to maintain the tranny for years of use, I have a question... in the city, while you are driving, the tranny tends to shift in and out of O/D quite a bit as you drive. Is this a concern? I remember hearing rumours years ago about O/D trannies and driving them in the city, and really wanted some expert feedback from you guys... do you leave the car in D in town and only engage O/D on the highway?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Default RE: 700R4 and shifting in the city

I would not expect this trans to shift into overdrive, or 4th gear, until about 40 mph. It is is in & out of 4th you might want to put into D3 just to keep it in one gear without annoying shify "busyiness"
It also has a locking torque converter, which will engage & disengage in 3rd or 4th gear, based primarily on engine load and throttle position.
that feels like a shift to overdrive, but it really is not, and it will not be affected too much by putting the shifter into D3.
Or what the heck, you could just leave it in OD and let it do what it will do. They call it an automatic transmission for a reason.

Happy motoring!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:58 AM

leave it in drive(d), until you hit the highway. it won't bother the tranny or motor. 4-speeds auto do hunt for gears at low speed between 3&4.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:34 PM

i leave it in OD for gas milage purposes

Old 07-22-2006, 07:36 PM

Congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard!!!

For performance driving (i.e. twisty turny country roads) I like to keep my '87 in D.

For highway obviously O/D. I decided not to worry too much about gas mileage when I purchased my Vette. Way too much fun to drive her quickly and fast.

Either way, you will fall deeper and deeper in love with your baby as time goes by. Not nearly as hard to work on as some people think.

Keep the wave ALIVE

Old 07-24-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks guys for all the kind words and expert advice! I am really glad to have found you all, and this board. Thanks ever so kindly!...

Old 07-24-2006, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz

Congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard!!!
Thank you very kindly!!

For performance driving (i.e. twisty turny country roads) I like to keep my '87 in D.

For highway obviously O/D. I decided not to worry too much about gas mileage when I purchased my Vette. Way too much fun to drive her quickly and fast.
Words of wisdom... I think I will follow suit!

Either way, you will fall deeper and deeper in love with your baby as time goes by. Not nearly as hard to work on as some people think.

Keep the wave ALIVE
Oh my gosh, my friend, I've had about 115 cars now in my life: some real beaters but a couple real sweethearts... this car is the absolute culmination of a childhood dream.... I live, eat and breath your words here, my friend.... I think one of the most amazing aspects of these cars is the incredible engineering that has gone into it, yet somehow, you can actually drive it everyday without having to hold up banks for maintenance costs!! Ain't these things just the Cat's Pajama's??

Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 AM

if your cruising in the city stop and go,then just leave it in 3rd (d) no need to beat up the OD and wont hurt the tranny at all.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: stingrey

if your cruising in the city stop and go,then just leave it in 3rd (d) no need to beat up the OD and wont hurt the tranny at all.
Thanks, my friend! I think I am going to follow this advice... I really don't wanna burn out the OD on the thing with it shifting constantly in and outta OD....

Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

When it is in overdrive and in lockup, it is in a direct 1 to 1 ratio, so city driving is not easy on a 700R. Early 80's 700's had lots of case problems with bearings giving up and mainshafts dropping and eating into case's. Direct drive really puts a stress on the internals at low speeds, lug, lug. LOL[8D]

Quick Reply: 700R4 and shifting in the city