Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

84 vet stalls/ looses all power while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 12:05 PM
Default 84 vet stalls/ looses all power while driving

So I have a 1984 corvette and it will start and idle fine but it’s only when I start to drive about every 500 ft it will act like I stalled the car and I have to come to a complete stop then it will start right up again. I’ve replaced the whole distributor and spark plug and wires the only thing aftermarket that’s been changed is the steering column. Any ideas?

Old 07-26-2022, 01:53 PM

Welcome to the forums! Well it doesn't sound like electrical is the problem, so that means maybe fuel issues. Sounds like it`s running out of fuel, on 84 vette fuel pressure should be 9-12 PSI. Easy to check with a gauge to the shrader valve on the top RR of the engine. How long was the last fuel filter change? Do you get good quality fuel, no major contamination somehow? I would check out the fuel system. Good luck! be careful with gasoline! Hope this Helps!

Old 07-26-2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by thomas77
Welcome to the forums! Well it doesn't sound like electrical is the problem, so that means maybe fuel issues. Sounds like it`s running out of fuel, on 84 vette fuel pressure should be 9-12 PSI. Easy to check with a gauge to the shrader valve on the top RR of the engine. How long was the last fuel filter change? Do you get good quality fuel, no major contamination somehow? I would check out the fuel system. Good luck! be careful with gasoline! Hope this Helps!
I don’t know when the fuel filter was last changed but I didn’t even thing of that I’ll run the pressure test and change that, hopefully it goes good

Old 07-26-2022, 04:22 PM

My older vehicles I once had with in line filters, when I changed them I would take a magic marker and mark milage and date on the filter, so I could remember.or sticker on the door or under hood for reminder. I would pull the filter off and take a short piece of heater hose and try to blow through the filter the same direction as the fuel to see how much resistance it had, you don`t want very much. I have seen a lot of fuel pumps over worked and die from plugged filters. Hopefully you are not to that point.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Slowc4-84: Welcome to the forum. Best guess would be as the others suggested would be either the fuel filter or the fuel pump. You can get a fuel injection pressure gauge at Harbor Freight for about $27.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:38 PM

My older vehicles I once had with in line filters, when I changed them I would take a magic marker and mark milage and date on the filter, so I could remember.or sticker on the door or under hood for reminder. I would pull the filter off and take a short piece of heater hose and try to blow through the filter the same direction as the fuel to see how much resistance it had, you don`t want very much. I have seen a lot of fuel pumps over worked and die from plugged filters. Hopefully you are not to that point.
I’ve changed the fuel filter and the pump now and it is still having the issue of stalling out the fuel pressure is good so I’m starting to think it’s an electrical problem

Old 07-27-2022, 06:57 PM

Ok is it acting the very same way? and can you leave the gauge hooked up while driving? Like up on the windshield where you can monitor it while driving? I`m curious if the fuel pressure is maintaining pressure. when it stalls.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:07 PM

Ok is it acting the very same way? and can you leave the gauge hooked up while driving? Like up on the windshield where you can monitor it while driving? I`m curious if the fuel pressure is maintaining pressure. when it stalls.
Yes it’s doing the same exact thing. I haven’t tried driving with the gauge but its getting plenty of fuel because when I start it back up it run rich for a second until it burns the extra fuel out

Old 07-27-2022, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

When you say the fuel pressure is good, what are you getting?

Old 07-28-2022, 09:28 AM

The original issue that it falls on its face sounds like fuel starvation. But now it sounds like an electrical shot down of the ignition. Have you had a check engine light? or has anything changed in the electrical system or ecm harness? It may be a possibility of a bad ecm or a bad prom (chip) Has the chip been changed or removed? Can you read any error codes from the ecm? maybe a sensor or sensor wire. (wires clean and tight, not pinched, good grounds) This might be a tougher problem than it originally sounded! Most of the time one thing causes a problem, I had situations where there were two problems, in a system. It can make it a challenge and takes time to find. I`m thinking you have one problem causing this. Something simple.You said you changed the steering column, wires and connections all good and tight? You might look at that..

Quick Reply: 84 vet stalls/ looses all power while driving