Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

'87 twitches when I hit the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Default '87 twitches when I hit the brakes

Hi all. I have an '87. Recently, when I hit the brakes, the car dives to the front right for a split second. It even pulls the steering wheel a little. But, it doesn't pull and dive continuously, only for the first second of hitting the brakes and then everything evens out and fine. It's almost like the front right brake is grabbing a split second before the others. I had it in the shop and the guy says everything externally looks fine. Pads are good, everything's in alignment, tires are at correct pressures, and fluid is good. He replaced the brake lines, which were badly worn out anyway, and it helped, but didn't fix the problem totally. Anyone know what's going on? '87 has ABS. I don't know a thing about brakes.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Mike

Old 02-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Default RE: '87 twitches when I hit the brakes

Pull the caliper off the LEFT side, and inspect the piston, check for free movement (you will need something to pry it with). It is probibly just sticking. They do make a lub for caliper pistons. Pull the piston out as far as it will go and lube the piston sleeve. Slide it back in and out a couple of times, see if it gets easier. As you can imagine if the left caliper is sticking and the right grabs first it will pull right. Worst case you may need to replace the caliper...good time for a BIG BOY brake upgrade. Good luck

tom

ORIGINAL: listoff

Hi all. I have an '87. Recently, when I hit the brakes, the car dives to the front right for a split second. It even pulls the steering wheel a little. But, it doesn't pull and dive continuously, only for the first second of hitting the brakes and then everything evens out and fine. It's almost like the front right brake is grabbing a split second before the others. I had it in the shop and the guy says everything externally looks fine. Pads are good, everything's in alignment, tires are at correct pressures, and fluid is good. He replaced the brake lines, which were badly worn out anyway, and it helped, but didn't fix the problem totally. Anyone know what's going on? '87 has ABS. I don't know a thing about brakes.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Mike