Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

88 vette stumbles @ idle cuts out need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Default 88 vette stumbles @ idle cuts out need help

i`m in need of some serious help,1st off i have a 88 corvette.i bought w/no motor or trans. I put a 350 out of a 88 tbi van in it but put the original intake (tuned port injection )back on,ran A1 for a few months.It started stumbling @ idle then it would cut out but it started right back up.If i`m driving it`s ok,only @ idle or @ the stop light.What i have done so far is a new fuel pump ,filter,fuel pressure regulator,different injectors,new pickup coil,new ignition control module,new coil,new mass air flow sensor,new iac valve.The only thing i haven`t done is a new coolant temp sensor and a new tps (but i did try a different one that i new was good)Any suggetions would deffinately help.Thanks for your time Art

Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 88 vette stumbles @ idle cuts out need help

HAve you checked basics? Did you disconnect the "Set Timing" connector, then check your timing? You didn't mention plugs and wires as a bad plug wire will make an engine stumble. Check your ignition system thoroughly along with timing. Other than that, will have to see scan tool readings and ignition scope patterns.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:38 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: mrart01

i`m in need of some serious help,1st off i have a 88 corvette.i bought w/no motor or trans. I put a 350 out of a 88 tbi van in it but put the original intake (tuned port injection )back on,ran A1 for a few months.It started stumbling @ idle then it would cut out but it started right back up.If i`m driving it`s ok,only @ idle or @ the stop light.What i have done so far is a new fuel pump ,filter,fuel pressure regulator,different injectors,new pickup coil,new ignition control module,new coil,new mass air flow sensor,new iac valve.The only thing i haven`t done is a new coolant temp sensor and a new tps (but i did try a different one that i new was good)Any suggetions would deffinately help.Thanks for your time Art
TPI?

My $$$ is on vacuum leak in the intake.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: cwb

ORIGINAL: mrart01

TPI?

My $$$ is on vacuum leak in the intake.
I agree. Just throwing money and parts at it isn't the best route to take.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Two things that had happened to me in my 10 years with an 86 that had caused idle problems such as yours were an egr valve with a piece of crap stuck under the pintel and believe it or not, check the ends of your injectors carefully that the plastic isn't cracked on the end. That will cause an uneven injector spray causing uneven and stalling idle. A kit is available from GM for the injectors. The problem with the injectors tends to show up on a hot day and only on some brands of fuel I found.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 PM

those are know for vacuum leaks check, check , and check again

Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 PM

Check to be sure the intake gaskets are not installed backwards. This happened on my 90 and I had a vacuum leak because of it.
Code:

Old 09-24-2007, 01:52 PM

I still have the same problem on my 85. After checking for vacuum leaks, doing a COMPLETE tune up, changing the fuel filter, and changing the o2 sensor, the problem still persisted . I then took it to my mechanic who suggested that I buy a new chip for the car. He said that the early C4 models 84-86E had bad chips.