Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

91 power sport seats with several issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 03:13 PM
Default 91 power sport seats with several issues

My seats have several switches that don’t seem to do anything. There are momentary on rockers in the front. What are these supposed to do? There is also another momentary on rocker mounted to the top of the seat bottoms With 3 buttons what do these buttons and switch do?

the drivers side motors work the passenger side has working motors but the transmission is bad. Has anyone gotten anything from Zip lately? Website says they are closed.

Kevin

Old 04-02-2022, 05:47 PM

If yours are like my 87 the sport switches on the left move the seat back fore and aft, activate a screw that pulls the sides in to hold the person in place, those on the right activate air bags for lumbar support. Finding parts is difficult and the prices are sky high. Ecklers has the best selection of parts that I'm aware of. The sir bags are available from time to time. The little set of buttons are hard to find, The air pump is hard to find. The various hoses that connect air bag to pump are complicated but can be found from time to time.I gave up on restoring them. The prices for everything for two seats including foam, covers, and other items ended up around 3500 bucks. Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2022, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by stanleyz
If yours are like my 87 the sport switches on the left move the seat back fore and aft, activate a screw that pulls the sides in to hold the person in place, those on the right activate air bags for lumbar support. Finding parts is difficult and the prices are sky high. Ecklers has the best selection of parts that I'm aware of. The sir bags are available from time to time. The little set of buttons are hard to find, The air pump is hard to find. The various hoses that connect air bag to pump are complicated but can be found from time to time.I gave up on restoring them. The prices for everything for two seats including foam, covers, and other items ended up around 3500 bucks. Hope this helps.
thanks for the assist. I am working my way through this. One of the lumbar air pumps was fried. I mean melted the plastic case was all deformed. Probably lucky it didn’t start a fire. The lumbar bladders were just a pile of paraffin. Luckily the other motors that run the side wings run forward and reverse when I apply power seems like neither of the switches are working. The lumbar release buttons appear to be working. I ordered 6 blood pressure cuffs for $10 each on Amazon and I bought a Ford lumbar air pump off eBay for $24. So for about $100 and a couple hours of my time I have things moving in the right direction. I need to do a little more testing on the wing motor switches to figure that out.

it bugs me when things don’t work.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:25 PM

Hey, keep in touch. Let me know if that works for you. So you intend to replace the bags with three individual bags (BP cuffs) and use the ford pumps. The next scarce item is the little plastic connectors. The hoses are generic but those connectors are scarce. Mine were fubared, I found a few several years ago but my seats have been on the back burner. I keep thinking I will get to them some day but......besides I like your ideas better than mine.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Keep us informed on how it works out.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:29 AM
Default Update

I have one seat done and the other in process. The blood pressure cuffs work great. I had to take the “Trumpet” switches all apart and clean / lubricate them as they were stuck open. I decided to replace all the lines too. The $24 eBay pump didn’t work so I bought a gm one for the corvette for $54 on eBay. The ford one wasn’t big enough CFM to fill 3 bladders at one time. I decided to tie wrap them together so they don’t move around in the seat. Took the side wing switches apart and cleaned them all up. In a few hours I will have 100% fully functional power sport seats. I used infant size blood pressure cuffs. They measure 9 inches tgey seem to fit better than the adult version.

Attached Thumbnails 91 power sport seats with several issues-c350954e-5f3c-4748-ae16-e13cfd29e199.jpeg  
Old 04-21-2022, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are well on your way to fully reconditioned and functional seats. BZ