Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

91 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Default 91 wont start

my 91 runs fine and starts fine, the problem occurs when the car gets hot if i shut off the car then go to try to start it,
it wont, if i let it cool down itll start with no problem, ive had this problem since 92 but it only did it a couple of times,i would call road service tell them my car wouldnt start thet would tell me its the vats just wait 15 minutes and it will start up i thought they knew what they were talking about,but it kept happening more and more and since i would drive around all day it never really bothered me because the only time i shut off the car was when i went inside for a long period of time so everytime i went to start the car it did because it was cold or at least cool.so i lived with this problem for about 12 yaers the car has 54,000 miles so i obviously i only use it for fun,but a couple of yaers ago i got really frustrated so i was determined to fix the problem,everywhere i went every website i visited they told me starter and or selonoid,vats, alarm system, ignition module,distibutor,you name it i replaced it i loved working on my own car so i didnt mind,but nothing worked so i had a romote starter put in by one of my friends at his shop and what does he find a neutral safety switch all burnt up from the heat of the engine ,big engine gets hot,we replace it never had a problem again,until today 88 degree day i think the same part went on me agian
i just had to say all this because ive been so frustrated over the years and im sure lots of other people have had the same problem this is the first time ive been on any auto forum in 2 years as i was looking to see if any one has had the same problems ,if anyone could just tell me if they have heard of this being a problem in corvettes the neutral safety switch because i just want to change only one part ,thanks

Old 10-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Default RE: 91 wont start

Hi, I have a similar problem with my 89, but mine does it at any temperature at any time. It just won't start. I then set alarm with the door lock button,close the door and then unlock and re-enter the car and try to start it. Sometime it will start right away,other times I have to wait 10 or 15 minutes before it will start. It almost always starts after this proceedure. For Insursance, I have installed a remote starter switch under the hood. I hope this might be helpful to someone. Regards, Mike. at duceee@msn.com