Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

92 vette stalled, now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Default 92 vette stalled, now won't start

92 vette 350, auto, stock
I am new to this forum and looking for help with my vette.

I was driving down the freeway the other day and all of a sudden the engine started to misfire, run rough and eventually stalled. I coasted off to the side of the road and after coming to a stop, I was able to restart the car on the first try. I drove the car for 20 miles and the "check engine" indicator came on. I existed the freeway, I came to a stop at a light and this time, the car just stalled. Was able to restart after a few trys but got 100yrds down the road and stalled for good on an incline. I say this because I thought that I was out of fuel as my reserve indicator light was on. Added a few gallons of fuel but the engine just cranks without firing.
Finally, I had to have the car towed home!

I checked the troublecode & it is flashing a 32 indicating a faulty EGR or ECM.

Can anyone help me with verifying the faults....PLEASE!

Thanks

Old 02-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Default RE: 92 vette stalled, now won't start

It is very possible that your ECM has failed. It happened to me, though it was not while i was driving. Before you spend all the money to check that out, i would first check your fuel pump. Since your were driving on reserve, its possible that the lack of fuel cause the pump to burn up; and the way you described your car dieing resembled how a fuel pump often dies.

Another easy test is check to make sure you are getting a spark.

I know how expensive it is to repair a corvette, so try doing all the simple, inexpensive tests you can before taking it in.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:43 AM

hey i had the same problem with my 92. it was my coil. the coild will test good but isnt supplyin enough voltage to start or keep the car running. change your coil.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: raisinbran

It is very possible that your ECM has failed. It happened to me, though it was not while i was driving. Before you spend all the money to check that out, i would first check your fuel pump. Since your were driving on reserve, its possible that the lack of fuel cause the pump to burn up; and the way you described your car dieing resembled how a fuel pump often dies.

Another easy test is check to make sure you are getting a spark.

I know how expensive it is to repair a corvette, so try doing all the simple, inexpensive tests you can before taking it in.
Thanks for the response...
Well, as limited as the Chiltons is, I have started to troubleshoot the problems as referenced from the book. As the engine cranks, I can smell fuel so I decide to check the ignition side first. The first thing that I checked was for spark to the plugs. None present...so as vettkids recommendation, changed out the coil. Still didn't solve the problem.

Checked the voltage to the ICM's A&D terminals and got zero volts. The book is telling me to check the primary ignition circuit and the opti for low votage at the ICM. Checked ignition circuit...looks good. Went to isolate the opti from the coil by checking for spark on the coil wire but my spark tester does not fit the rubber boot on the coil wire. In the interum, I went to pull the codes again just for giggles and this time calls out a 16(opti) & 42 code. It didn't show this the first time that I checked the code.
Looks like opti is the cause...would you agree?

Old 02-11-2006, 11:03 PM

Sounds like the opti. I'd test the fuel pressure first though before tearing into the front of your LT1 changing out the optispark.
It could be the fuel pump. I'm no expert...that's just what I'd do first.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

If you have no spark, you can check for injector pulse to see if the ECM is firing the injectors. This can be accomplished by going to local parts stores to see if they sell whats called a noid light. Unplug one of you injectors and plug the noid light into the harness and crank engine to see if ECM is pulsing injectors. If not, possibly have an ignition module failure as the ECM looks at your ignition signal to determine injector pulse rate. Also check the injector harness unplugged with a test light with key on to see if you have power on either terminal to see if the relay is supplying power to the injectors as the ECM grounds and ungrounds them for pulse.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: mech259

If you have no spark, you can check for injector pulse to see if the ECM is firing the injectors. This can be accomplished by going to local parts stores to see if they sell whats called a noid light. Unplug one of you injectors and plug the noid light into the harness and crank engine to see if ECM is pulsing injectors. If not, possibly have an ignition module failure as the ECM looks at your ignition signal to determine injector pulse rate. Also check the injector harness unplugged with a test light with key on to see if you have power on either terminal to see if the relay is supplying power to the injectors as the ECM grounds and ungrounds them for pulse.

UPDATE...FAULTY IGNITION MODULE!! THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP!