General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'89 vette stalled

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Default '89 vette stalled

I gave it a little extra gas and at next red light it stalled out. I tried not pressing gas pedal but it would not stay running. I tried letting it sit for about 15 minutes. I tried holding gas pedal to floor. I tried taking off and putting back on positive battery cable. It acted like it was flooded but the last time I tried to start it, it would not even connect. Good battery! Brake light was on. I did gas it a little right after starting car before my brakes make this noise, which it has always done, (going from reverse to drive) which I know nothing about. Starter is good also! Only thing I know to try is a spare passkey. It asks like it is not getting any fuel basically, Any help is greatly appreciated as I will have to have it towed by the morning if not started. Thanks!
Mike

Old 07-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '89 vette stalled

Fuel filter is my first guess.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:30 PM

Any idea where my fuel filter is located and what I might need to change (for example a fuel filter wrench and mayby a 1/2 or 9/16 open end wrench. Thanks!

Mike

Old 07-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

You may be able to find the filter along one of the frame rails. Also check on the fuel line under the hood. You may have one in both places. A 7/16 and a screw driver is all ya need, as I recall. Take a 1/2 and 9/16 under with ya too, just in case. I have been known to be wro...uh,.....mistaken, before.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

You may be able to find the filter along one of the frame rails. Also check on the fuel line under the hood. You may have one in both places. A 7/16 and a screw driver is all ya need, as I recall. Take a 1/2 and 9/16 under with ya too, just in case. I have been known to be wro...uh,.....mistaken, before.
MISINFORMED! Never wrong; just "someone told me wrong". Right C3

I think a fuel pressure check is in order here, mrg...

There's 3 conditions under which pressure should be checked. They're in this article, somewhere (7 pages)...
https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_37283/tm.htm

EDIT!!! If you do pull the filter before doin' a pressure check, NOTE FOR FUEL PRESSURE WHEN YOU UNSCREW THE FILTER. YOU WILL GET ALOT OF FUEL SPRAYED OUT, INSTEAD OF A DRIBBLE, IF YOU HAVE GOOD PRESSURE.

I still suggest a fuel pressure check first, as per the article.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Well the fuel filter didn't fix it. I could blow thru the old one. Anyway, there was a little fuel pressure but very little and only for a second then just a dribble of gas when changing filter so maybe a fuel pressure check is in order. Any idea what a garage may charge me, if I have it towed in, to check and fix fuel pressure. Vette has a lot of battery and starter power but just winding instead of connecting at start-up. It asks just like it is out of gas. Amazing, I was just driving down the road and it died. Any suggestions or prices that anyone may have is greatly appreciated because I have to have it towed in the morning as it is in someones parking structure. Thanks again!!
Mike PS It was very hard pushing the vette uphill with cowboy boots on.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

....MISINFORMED! Never wrong; just "someone told me wrong". Right C3

...or they ms'pelled it.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:47 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: mrg404

Well the fuel filter didn't fix it. I could blow thru the old one. Anyway, there was a little fuel pressure but very little and only for a second then just a dribble of gas when changing filter so maybe a fuel pressure check is in order. Any idea what a garage may charge me, if I have it towed in, to check and fix fuel pressure. Vette has a lot of battery and starter power but just winding instead of connecting at start-up. It asks just like it is out of gas. Amazing, I was just driving down the road and it died. Any suggestions or prices that anyone may have is greatly appreciated because I have to have it towed in the morning as it is in someones parking structure. Thanks again!!
Mike PS It was very hard pushing the vette uphill with cowboy boots on.
Not much for a pressure check. But they'll probably do just a standard check. Only a speed shop will do a check as per the article. Did you read it?

I think you should do it yourself tho'.

EDIT: If you do go to a mechanic, don't tell him you swapped the filter. See how long it takes him to say "change it".

Old 07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
cwb

Re-readin' here there, mrg, I'm a little confused...

ORIGINAL: mrg404

I gave it a little extra gas and at next red light it stalled out. I tried not pressing gas pedal but it would not stay running. I tried letting it sit for about 15 minutes. I tried holding gas pedal to floor. I tried taking off and putting back on positive battery cable. It acted like it was flooded but the last time I tried to start it, it would not even connect. Good battery! Brake light was on. I did gas it a little right after starting car before my brakes make this noise, which it has always done, (going from reverse to drive) which I know nothing about. Starter is good also! Only thing I know to try is a spare passkey. It asks like it is not getting any fuel basically, Any help is greatly appreciated as I will have to have it towed by the morning if not started. Thanks!
Mike
Take a whiff at the tailpipe after pullin' the trigger. Smell gas?

Old 07-23-2007, 12:44 AM

Before I took of old fuel filter I pepressed the valve stem looking device on top of engine, that I was told would release fuel pressure. Maybe that is why there was just a little pressure when I unscrewed old filter. Anyway, the best I could come up with, seeing as I have no time to work on it myself, is to have it towed to garage and put on computer test. Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Mike