Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

air conditioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Default air conditioning problem

Help for solution with an air conditioning problem on my '90'? My 90 six speed's air conditoner stoped operating sudenly. I thought that the gas was on the low side and it would be the right time for a change in the gas from R-12 to R-34. I had a local shop exchange the gas but that did not seem to solve the problem. The only way they could get the compressor to turn on was to jump the power under the das on the drivers side. They thought that the automatic controls on the dash were at fault and the unit needed to be changed out. I consulted to salvage yard about the problem and got different responses from each yard. One yard blamed the problem on a computer module above the gas pedal and the other said the dash cntroller was to blame. I don't want to buy both units to solve this problem. has any one had a similar situation and solved it with a simple way of diagnosing the problem? Thanks 76 yellowbrd

Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Default RE: air conditioning problem

I had that problem. It was a bad AC relay. 10 bucks from NAPA. You loose power to heat/air and your box where the controls are. I cant remember where under the hood it was though. Should be near the blower from my memory.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, the blower module was also blown and I found a replacement at the vet salvage yard. That AC part you wrote about does that go under the dash or under the hood? Thanks

Old 10-29-2006, 07:26 PM

Under the hood. All I hear is when I get a bunch of bs froma shop is "blah blah blah, I am a jackass who is ripping you off"I figure stuff out on my own where I know that I am not being ripped off. Screw the Stealership and all the Jiffy lubes on the road. Real cars derserve a REAL mechanic....

Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

If your car has ATC (Auto Temp Control), could be several things. Wouldn't be prudent to just throw parts at it, since that is expensive. Without a wiring diagram (I can help, if you tell me what you have), you are just shootin balnks. Is the blower working? Is the compressor cycling on? Is your heater control valve working(shutting off when you are on full cold, thats if you have manual a/c)?

Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 PM

I'm with mech259 on this. I can't speak to a 90 with certainty, mine is a 92 with ATC. It had the identical issue you raised (low freon pressure) and when recharged (by jumping the relay) it still refused to engage from the ATC control head. The owners manual indicated that the ECM fuse had to be pulled for 2 minutes to reset the low freon code. That didn't work so I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and bingo the ATC came back to life like it was brand new and has been working ever since.

Before you replace anything else, give us a few more details.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the ans. to my questions, I'll give the battery disconect a try tomorrow. I have to still install the blower module that should be home when I return from work tonight. The car does have the auto A/C and the gas was on the low side when it stopped working. I really hate throwing cold cash at a warm interior. The car is warm enough by the tunnel already!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 PM

It worked!!!!!! Battery disconect, then wait and reconnect all is well in Vet land now my 90 blows cold air again (till the gas leaks out) Thanks to all that responded. Its good to know that their is help in cyber space for ones that ask.....