Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

C4 cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Default C4 cooling?

Everything I know about cars tells me that 230 degrees for the electric fans to come on is far to hot,(95 vette)ive known headgaskets to blow a 240, so it scares the heck out of me,ive ran 160 thermostats in all of my past hot rods and never any trouble, they only offer a 180 replacement as the lowest temp t-stat, I used an older style 160 and itfitted fine, but, the car still wont run any cooler than 185 even driveing long distances, any thoughts on completely removing the t-stat alltogether? considering these cars are notorious for over heating anyway? any thoughts? or experience with this matter?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Default RE: C4 cooling?

You can buy a 160 degree stat for an LT1. You can get or order from any parts store. Hypertech makes one. Here is a link: http://www.google.com/products?q=160...e&ct=title
GM made the LT1 engine run very hot, temperatures of 230 degrees are not at all uncommon. These hot temperatures promote reduced emissions and a cleaner burn. Research has also shown that engine wear is related to temperature and that too low a temperature can cause premature engine wear. The stock thermostat in an LT1 is 180 degrees, the only reason the car runs so hot is that the computer controlled fans allow it to do so. From the factory the cooling fans are not programmed to come on until the vehicle approaches 240 degrees. While the vehicle is moving temperatures are easily maintained near 180 degrees, the temperatures only climb when the car sits at idle

Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 PM

I figured it would probably affect the 02sensors but couldnt think of what else, Man those high temps are super hard on anything that is made of rubber on or in that motor. I run Castrol Syntec full synthetic, so that gives me a little comfort, but still thats really hot.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 PM

BTW, these cars are not notorios (at least I have not heard this) for running hot, people just think they are because they are not accustomed to driving a car with an LT1.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Removing the thermostat in all probability will make it still overheat, since the coolant will not stay in the radiator long enough to difuse the heat. Port fuel injected engines are designed to run at around 200 degrees to promote better comustion efficiency. As Lee said, these C4 were not designed to sit still and idle as there is not enough air flow across the radiator. I presume you have had your radiator flow tested and/or cleaned. I know that all aluminum radiators will cool better but are expensive. Good Luck.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:35 AM

Thanks,I'm actually getting a coolant flush and an injector cleaning today, an aluminum radiator will be the next upgrade. Got an awesome deal on the car, Its a 95 in near mint condition, white with paintedremoveable top, 2 tone black and grey interior, flawless paintwith 102,000 miles for 8 grand otd. Already did a tranny filter and fluid change, Syntec oil, man that fuel filter sucked to change! took the better part of an hour, and airfilter, its my 4th vette 3 being C4's and1 being a C5, kinda partial to the C4'sbecause they were my first. Was hopeing for another 6 speed, but to good of a deal to pass up, the wife loves it, so its all good.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:57 AM

Well you got some good advice and I learned a thing or two myself.
Mine overheats when not moving for a while so I'm getting it checked before summer.
I would add to look closely at your cap as the system has to hold pressure in order to not boil away at those temps.
Todays gas with synthetic additives instead of lead burns hotter as well.
Funny how some of the old Dad's tales like taking out the thermostat will make your car run cooler are really a myth.
It will run cooler in the winter for sure but thats another issue.
I recomend drilling a small hole in that new thermostat or investing in a fail/open unit that are now available in most parts stores cause we love our cars and don't want baby to roast . LOL

Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: larry00

Well you got some good advice and I learned a thing or two myself.
Mine overheats when not moving for a while so I'm getting it checked before summer.
I would add to look closely at your cap as the system has to hold pressure in order to not boil away at those temps.
Todays gas with synthetic additives instead of lead burns hotter as well.
Funny how some of the old Dad's tales like taking out the thermostat will make your car run cooler are really a myth.
It will run cooler in the winter for sure but thats another issue.
I recomend drilling a small hole in that new thermostat or investing in a fail/open unit that are now available in most parts stores cause we love our cars and don't want baby to roast . LOL
I would not drill a hole in the thermostat and here is why. The operating range in between thethermostat and cooling fan is known as the "dead-band" where the engine is happy and cozy and neither component is doing anything. A dead band is always necessary. If yourthermostat hysteresis and cooling fan hysteresis overlap, then you have no deadband, and the systems are working at the same time and fighting each other. The thermostat will be trying to heat the engine while the fan tries to cool it. If the thermostat is winning the fight, the fan will never ever shut off.

So you can see here that drilling holes in your thermostat makes about as much sense as drilling holes in your wetsuit. Either way you'll freeze yourrear endoff when its cold.