Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

C4 Weatherstripping, Targa top

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Default C4 Weatherstripping, Targa top

Can anyone recommend a supplier for high quality weatherstripping? I bought a kit for about $500 and it was just too firm. My targa top cracked at the right front corner after tightening it down against the stiff weatherstrip along the A pillar. Also, the side windows would not seal along the front edge because the weather strip was too firm for the glass to push up all the way in the front corner. Is there any aftermarket kit that is just like oem? The original is very soft and flexible. I also need to find a supplier for a new targa top, and I don't want to run into the same problem of inferior workmanship. I hope someone has solved this problem before and has an answer. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Default RE: C4 Weatherstripping, Targa top

Go to your Chevrolet dealer and see if they still make the weatherstrip. You may be supprised. Most of the later model weatherstriping will fit the earlier model C4s. The parts guy should be able to help. Try and find a dealer that sells vettes. The more the better. The CM stuff is the best. Also, check with them about the targa. There is a company that advertisies repair of targa tops. You can find their add in most vette magazines.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 PM

I got mine from ebay.. Lot cheaper than any where else. The hatch was 53 bucks the rear targa was 106, the a pillar was 60 and the side targa was 60. Excellent quality. They were 3 times that at corvette america.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 PM

Well, I finally have to replace the a pillar and roof header seal on my 92. Whats everyone opinion on were to purchase the seal???? I dont want to waste my money on junk.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 PM

i had this problem on a couple of vettes i did, now 25 or so jobs later i learned some tricks first weather stripping is a rubber and vettes flex ALOT so you most likely will not get one brand of weather stripping to fit just right out of the box you need to finesse it a bit start by having the room temp atleast 75* and keep it there. next pre warm the weather stripping (i set the box of weather stripping next to a heat duct for an hour or so) next install the weather stripping make sure it fits completely in the C channel at the ends i have found rivets work a lot better the screws or the plastic push tabs. after all the weather stripping is replaced take a heat gun and heat up where the targa to sets there is a fine line between hot enough and melting the weather stripping next install the targa top and SNUG the bolts in a cross patten LF,RR,LR,RF give it 30 min and heat again thur the targa top be careful not to burn the paint if it is painted top and snug bolts some more repeat a thrid time and this time tighten the bolts tight. next (this part works best with two people) roll the windows down heat the weather stripping where the window seals when hot roll window up and down a couple of times with door closed then heat again and repeat at the final time up when wether stripping is cool leave window up heat thur the glass frimly pressing on the window till it seals all the way around (i have had this part take up to three hours per window) the hatchback does not take as much time because the weight and it does not pull down as much as the targa top i have heard of corvette shops charging 1500.00 just to install new weather stripping athough we dont charge that much i can see if they really didnt care to do it why the would. right now we are installing new weather stripping on a 84' if you would like details pics of the before and after email me at moddriverb9@aol.com do not get upset if you dont get them right away as i am not online that much but i will get them to you. as far as where to get the weather stripping i argee Ebay is as good as anywhere else i have used

Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 AM

I just bought an 88 coupe and the guy had just installed new weather stripping. It rained the day I drove the car from NY to NJ (200 miles) and the rain seems to be entering the car from the front edge of both side windows. When I looked at it more closely, the windows both seem to be sealing bad because the top front corner of the glass strikes the weather stripping before it completely seals further down the front edge.

You had mentioned that you have some pictures of an installation; I’d really appreciate seeing them. Also, would the heat gun work to soften that upper, corner weather stripping so that the window travels further up and seals along the front edge?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM

GM weatherstipping is your best bet for fit and finish.