Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Climate control module

Old 07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Default Climate control module

Hey folks!! We have the ol' dreaded, Electronic Climate Control won't work syndrome here! We've got a 1987 convertible, and the buttons don't work very well anymore... it's a bit of a pain and with winter approachin' in the next few months.. yeh, really want to get that fixed.

Apparently, GM doesn't make the part anymore. [:'(] What the hell is THAT?

Anyways, been lookin' around and can't really find a new one anywhere! Any ideas at all, folks? Any help mucho appreciated.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Default RE: Climate control module

OK, well thanks to white88 for helpin' me out here!! Seems we found a couple listed on eBay for sale... not bad prices, really, with core returns.... here's the thing.. the convertible doesn't have a rear window defroster, and my 'Vette guy here in town told me to find the proper droptop one...

Is there any problem in using a hardtop version of the controller in a droptop? I'd suspect there'd just be one button that doesn't work or something like that, but wanted to check with you experts first.....

Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

I think there is a place in Houston that rebuilds them along with the instrument panel. I will check and see. GBTU [8D]

Old 07-31-2006, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: mech259

I think there is a place in Houston that rebuilds them along with the instrument panel. I will check and see. GBTU [8D]
Many thanks to you, kind sir! I really really appreciate that mech.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:46 AM

Hey all, I know you said 87, I just had to replace mine on 89. Local chevy dealer could only find a couple in the system.
Cost me just under $600 parts and labor. Mine is convertable also. have not picked up car from shop yet but was assured it was original.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: tonyrbp

Hey all, I know you said 87, I just had to replace mine on 89. Local chevy dealer could only find a couple in the system.
Cost me just under $600 parts and labor. Mine is convertable also. have not picked up car from shop yet but was assured it was original.
Your dealer managed to locate a brand new one??? Which dealership was that, my friend? I wouldn't mind givin' those dudes a call, that's for sure! Thanks for the post!

Old 08-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Doesn't eklers sell them? they do the digital dashes.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Doesn't eklers sell them? they do the digital dashes.
No, bro, believe it or not, they are totally discontinued. I did find a refurbished one from Corvette Central, but that one is for the coupe. I understand it would work fine in our car, but it's not the absolute correct convertible one. They are VERY difficult to find.

I DID get a surprise call from a local 'Vette owner/enthusiast here last night! He is so friendly and looking forward to helping us out here, it was great. He gave me the name of a local electronics shop that rebuilds things, said they could probably do this for somewhere around $50-$100. We're going to try tackling this problem this way first, as it's way easier and cheaper than going the other route. I'll keep this thread going and updating it as we move along, just in case it's of use to other folks.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:25 PM

I am still checking down here in arizona for you buddy. Thought I had one , but same deal. Coupe

Old 08-24-2006, 02:30 PM

I REALLY appreciate that, bro! We have all the shop materials (documentation) etc. now... gonna book an app't with my mechanic in 3 weeks here... I think we're going to troubleshoot the problem first. But I am pretty sure I'm going to need a new/refurb controller panel. Please let me know if you bump into anything, bro!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Climate control module