Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Corvette Wave

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Default RE: Corvette Wave

Here In Connecticut I have a 1972 and 1986 vette. When I drive the 72 ( pretty junky driver) , I get a 90-95% wave-back rate. When I drive the 86 (mint), I get a 70-75% wave-back rate. When driving the vettes I LOOK for other vettes to wave to! I've also experienced waves to me from vettes far out of my line of sight--they made the effort!!! Cool!!
I love when the girls riding with me ask me "Why did he wave to you?"

Old 06-18-2006, 06:33 PM

I didnt know that this would be such a popular topic. I am glad that everyone agrees with me for the most part though. I was leaving Advance Auto Parts the other day and my car was dirty as its ever been (usually C5's and C6's only wave if my car is clean with the top off) and as i was leaving the parking lot, a guy drove past at about 45 mph in a 2000's C5 and he stuck his hand all the way out of the window to wave at me. It was very enthusiastic and so i promptly returned the wave. But i think i almost had a stroke for the same reason Corvette King almost had one; out of shock that the C5 would actually initiate the wave.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 PM

Hey there are idiots all around us. It would be a lot easier to spot them if they flashed purple or greeen or something else. Funny thing though, I was riding with my son a few years back and saw a yellow vette approaching us both my son and me waved and the kid driving the yellow vette was so energetic he put up both hands through the space where the top normally would be and then he started heading straight towards us. So whats worse? Don't lose any sleep over this life's too short.
Larry

Old 06-20-2006, 11:46 PM

Haha... Thanks for the story Larry and Welcome to the Forums. Yeah, I would rather be alive than get a wave. But, the thing that bothers me is people that stare at you while you are waving or doing your head nod or whatever it is you do, and they ignore you. I just dont like it when people are rude like that.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:10 AM

I am just trying to keep this thread alive, but before my car went into the shop, for about a month there was a guy on my 27mile on way to work everyday that would wait to see me going the other way and he would stick his hand out the window and wave at me. of course it was a first generation C4 so its not like a C5 or C6 but still... its good to know you have friends everywhere just because you have good taste in vehicles.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: crvttbass

I hear you here in NE Wisconsin as well. I also have a Harley. I love all bikes and wave at anyone who's enjoying the sport. But even with the Harley some don't wave. The problem with either one is that some folks buy a Vette or a Harley as a status symbol. They are just posers. I love my Vette. It's not perfect but I give er all the TLC it wants and it treats me good back. There is a feeling you get when driving your vette. If you aren't getting the feeling, go buy a minivan. Everytimre I leave the driveway is like the first time. The sound of the exhaust, the long low look down the shinny red hood, the feel of the torque as i squease the throttle. It all says Corvette. I wave. I wave to all Vettes and to all bikes when I'm on my Harley. I'd rather be the one who knows than the one who poses. (I wish I could have made that ryhme)

So heres to ya all. I'm not shy!! A BIG WAVE from a fellow Vette lover !
Good Lord, that post was so awesome, it brung a tear to my eye!! *applause* GREAT POST!

ORIGINAL: Clayton

I work in the Palm Springs area and there are C5s and C6s by the gobs so I did a little experiment this morning on my 40 mile drive to work in my 85 C4. Every corvette I saw I waved to. I saw 3 C4s and they all waved. I think I saw 5 C5s and 3 of them waved back. I saw 2 C6s and NONE them waved. On the other hand, last week I saw a C6 with a dealer plate on it going down the street where my work is. I waved to him and he turned with a huge smile and waved back. The area I am in is full of snobs with too much money but I guess the wave thing all has to do with personality. I don't care what year the car is, I always wave.
Now, ain't that interestin'!! I was really wondering if it was just me, or what... but this thread has really, uh, "driven" home the point to me about all this. Up here in Hoserland, folks sportin' C5's and 'specially C6's NEVER wave.... I'll bet if I look into it, there's a whole "anti wave" movement out there on our island....

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Haha... Thanks for the story Larry and Welcome to the Forums. Yeah, I would rather be alive than get a wave. But, the thing that bothers me is people that stare at you while you are waving or doing your head nod or whatever it is you do, and they ignore you. I just dont like it when people are rude like that.
I completely agree.

The other day whilst out 'n about I roll up to a light. I look over, and there's this dude in a '88 black droptop literally standin' up in his car to make me notice he was wavin'!! We were quite a few car lengths apart, and as I looked around I could see other folks in the traffic there lookin' at either him or me with a right wierd look on their face.. I guess they couldn't see that there was 2 of us at that light and thought we were a bunch of idiots just randomly wavin' about at folks.... LOL

That brung a huge smile to this tired ol' face.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:52 PM

So, had to roll out to run a quick errand and now you guys have got me checkin' this all out!! A dude in a real pretty red C5 targa top was sitting at the light coming in the other direction. The guy was very enthusiastic with his wave, and I was very very happy to reciprocate! Up here in Canada, especially on the island where we live, we don't see too many 'Vette's at all on the roads... as a matter of fact, the other day my wife and I were out for the better part of 6 hours doing errands and runnin' about and all that, and we saw a grand total of..... *drum roll*.... 0 Corvette's.

Anyways, I was just so happy to get a wave from that fellow in the shiny red C5, I just had to post!

Old 07-25-2006, 11:14 PM

Haha, thats good that everyone there is enthusiastic about it. Here, Corvettes are so common that you see probably as many borkendown or just not on the road in neighborhoods as you do on the road. There are quite a few. I am going to join the Beach Combers Corvette Club here in Virginia Beach and hopefully they will all recognize the other members and that will bring my wave-tally up lol.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Haha, thats good that everyone there is enthusiastic about it. Here, Corvettes are so common that you see probably as many borkendown or just not on the road in neighborhoods as you do on the road. There are quite a few. I am going to join the Beach Combers Corvette Club here in Virginia Beach and hopefully they will all recognize the other members and that will bring my wave-tally up lol.
ROFL!! Wave-tally!!! THAT was funny, my friend!

Man, that's kind of cool that you guys have so many 'Vette's patrollin' the streets in yer neck of the woods. How big is that club you are joining? My wife and I are going to join the Victoria Corvette Club here, too, in the next lil' bit. We love hangin' with folks who love the same cars we do and goin' on cruises and all that. We used to have a real sweet 35th Anniversary Camaro Z/28, and I was on the Board of Directors of our local F-Body club. We had a blast with the functions they put on, and cruising in a pack of F-Bodies was always cool... can't WAIT to do the same with the 'Vette, only it'll be better, 'cause, yeh, it's a 'VETTE!!

I used to ride motorbikes years ago; really loved the comraderie of fellow bikers on the road.. anyways, when I found this board and discovered the whole wave thing, I got right excited and now I am in the same boat you are... workin' on the wave tally!!

Last night on the way home, there was a lady in a C5 at the lights in town, comin' the other way. Well, I waved like a true madman! I got *blink, blink, blink* in return..... [:-] some people need a tune up on their sense of humours, methinks.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:14 PM

Haha, yeah, I kinda made that Wave-Tally bit up. I am not quite sure how many people are in that club, but I know that my neighbor was in it about 10 years ago when he had his '75 C3 and he said that there were probably about 50 members. I am assuming that they have definately grown in numbers since then because some of their pictures have over a hundred 'Vettes on random trips to shows. It is absolutely nuts and I cannot wait to join.

Yeah, a lot of people get the vettes just to show off their money. They have no true idea about the history behind them or even what kind of engine powers their car - LOL! I just wish I could go educate the whole Corvette world about the WAVE!!!

Quick Reply: Corvette Wave