Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   courtesy lights (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/courtesy-lights-7771/)

emd820 09-30-2007 10:22 PM

courtesy lights

When I open the door on my 96, neither the courtesy lights down low or the lights on the mirror come on. The lights on the mirror can be switched on with the switch on the mirror. Is ther some way that is negating courtesy lights coming on?

cwb 09-30-2007 10:33 PM

RE: courtesy lights

Not sure there, emd, but I'd unscrew the contact button in the door jamb, andput a multimeter on it for 12V.

If you got voltage there, thenthe switch is bad or it has dirt in the contact. UNLESS, there's a second wire at the switch for a remote ground. In that case, see if it will carry current. If not, there's the problem.

emd820 09-30-2007 10:35 PM

Switch can't be at fault because the two lights behind the seats come on when the door is opened.

cwb 09-30-2007 10:54 PM

ORIGINAL: emd820

Switch can't be at fault because the two lights behind the seats come on when the door is opened.
Now see we didn't know that now... Ya' holdin' out on us here now with the details there [&:] [sm=chairshot.gif] [sm=icon_beat.gif]

cwb 09-30-2007 10:55 PM

What do you get if you turn on the main interior light switch???

emd820 10-01-2007 06:11 AM

Only the cargo area lights come on

cwb 10-01-2007 08:31 AM

So your courtesy lamps don't come on under ANY circumstances?

blueshark 10-01-2007 06:55 PM

CWB probably has much better and more thorough information than I do but just trying to help. So here goes...how about the two on the bottom of the mirror? Will the door lights come on at their indigenous switches. Ifneither door comes on but the rest do, it seems as though either both lights blew at the same time(possible but not probable) or a short/break in the wiring, perhaps right at the switch. Trace the wires back from the two doors and look for a bare spot. Good place is at the hinge point and any where it goes through a body panel. good luck with it. Cheers.

emd820 10-01-2007 07:52 PM

The courtesy lights don't come on under any circumstances. The lights on the mirror don't come on when the door is opened. They only come on with ignition on and you flip switch on the mirror.

cwb 10-01-2007 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

CWB probably has much better and more thorough information than I do but just trying to help. So here goes...how about the two on the bottom of the mirror? Will the door lights come on at their indigenous switches. Ifneither door comes on but the rest do, it seems as though either both lights blew at the same time(possible but not probable) or a short/break in the wiring, perhaps right at the switch. Trace the wires back from the two doors and look for a bare spot. Good place is at the hinge point and any where it goes through a body panel. good luck with it. Cheers.
Nah - I just guess mor'n anybody else does. Andgo by shiver's little sig there - givin' up ain't a option:D