Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Default courtesy lights

When I open the door on my 96, neither the courtesy lights down low or the lights on the mirror come on. The lights on the mirror can be switched on with the switch on the mirror. Is ther some way that is negating courtesy lights coming on?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:33 PM
cwb
Default RE: courtesy lights

Not sure there, emd, but I'd unscrew the contact button in the door jamb, andput a multimeter on it for 12V.

If you got voltage there, thenthe switch is bad or it has dirt in the contact. UNLESS, there's a second wire at the switch for a remote ground. In that case, see if it will carry current. If not, there's the problem.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 PM

Switch can't be at fault because the two lights behind the seats come on when the door is opened.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:54 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: emd820

Switch can't be at fault because the two lights behind the seats come on when the door is opened.
Now see we didn't know that now... Ya' holdin' out on us here now with the details there [&:] [sm=chairshot.gif] [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 09-30-2007, 10:55 PM
cwb

What do you get if you turn on the main interior light switch???

Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 AM

Only the cargo area lights come on

Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 AM
cwb

So your courtesy lamps don't come on under ANY circumstances?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

CWB probably has much better and more thorough information than I do but just trying to help. So here goes...how about the two on the bottom of the mirror? Will the door lights come on at their indigenous switches. Ifneither door comes on but the rest do, it seems as though either both lights blew at the same time(possible but not probable) or a short/break in the wiring, perhaps right at the switch. Trace the wires back from the two doors and look for a bare spot. Good place is at the hinge point and any where it goes through a body panel. good luck with it. Cheers.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 PM

The courtesy lights don't come on under any circumstances. The lights on the mirror don't come on when the door is opened. They only come on with ignition on and you flip switch on the mirror.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:41 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: blueshark

CWB probably has much better and more thorough information than I do but just trying to help. So here goes...how about the two on the bottom of the mirror? Will the door lights come on at their indigenous switches. Ifneither door comes on but the rest do, it seems as though either both lights blew at the same time(possible but not probable) or a short/break in the wiring, perhaps right at the switch. Trace the wires back from the two doors and look for a bare spot. Good place is at the hinge point and any where it goes through a body panel. good luck with it. Cheers.
Nah - I just guess mor'n anybody else does. Andgo by shiver's little sig there - givin' up ain't a option

Quick Reply: courtesy lights