Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

dash rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Default dash rattle

I have a 93 coupe. Everything is tight, everything works, great car.........with the exception of one little irritating thing. I have a rattle in the dash that sort of sounds like a pebble bouncing around. Seems like it has moved recently too, from over near the glove box, more toward the center of the dash. Any thoughts without starting to disassemble the dash? I would surely screw something important up.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: dash rattle

Sounds like the tommy boy sindrome....ever set M&M's on the dash? sorry 'bout that. but that movie was funny. "that's gonna leave a mark"
but seriously now. My wife accedently put a pack of ciggarettes in the only AC vent in my truck that didn't have the louvers in it and I used a strong Shop vac to getit out. it sounds like something may have fallen down in the vent system. perhaps a strong vacume will get it out. Block of all but one at the opposite end and give it a try.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 PM

In my opinion I think all C4s have a little rattle unless everythings been redone. They are old. My car rattles like hell. I am working on getting the new interior screws from midamerica and redoing all of those taking the dash out cleaning it up inside and using electrical tape on all the wires to hold them in place. Tighten up any loose items in there. There is a thin set of insulation cardboard at home depot for about 1.29. Its like a1 inch piece of cardboard and can be cut. I am going to install some of that in the dash to help muffle out the motor. Then get a crate full of sound deadener from midamerica once i can afford it rip everything in the interior out and redo all the floors. Tighten up the exaust sytem and remove any excess crap under neath there. That is the best I can think of. I also have the removable top. Its the solid one though. I ripped the material off because it was falling down. I am going to re thread the holes this weekend as i am sure they are not as good as they are and i already have spare bolts here. Put soe of that cardboard in the roof then put some new material in there. Take out ya no any change i dont need or keep it secure. Give it a good interior cleaning. Thaat should help the rattles. Try some of these when you have the time and cash. This will be a long project for me as it willt ake alot of time and i have school and not very much cash. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 PM

Unfortunately,our car are known for a few rattles.I think it's part of their charm.Have you dropped anything around your area of concern?Has any work been done where maybe something was not secured and that may be your culprit?Did you get your car with this little "problem"?Anything is possible,I guess,but I sincerely hope you solve this so you can enjoy your car.With a Vette,everything is possible,but everything has a solution!!Your friend,Joe!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 AM

was up, glad to see another vette owner. before you go crazy clean out your cars interior. i was driven crazy by a 50 cent piece that i didn't think could be making that noise. check the outsidevents near the windshield wipers for rocks ect.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 AM

some of my rattles came from the little clips that the screws go into have fallen down.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeVetteman

Unfortunately,our car are known for a few rattles.I think it's part of their charm.Have you dropped anything around your area of concern?Has any work been done where maybe something was not secured and that may be your culprit?Did you get your car with this little "problem"?Anything is possible,I guess,but I sincerely hope you solve this so you can enjoy your car.With a Vette,everything is possible,but everything has a solution!!Your friend,Joe!

.....Charm??? right.....I think you need to lay off the stuff there bud. That is one of the bad things about our car.....I hate noise...

Old 02-03-2007, 03:07 PM

I dont know about your car, but in mine, I get a rattle from the rear view mirror. There is a little piece of clear plastic that covers the "map light" that shines down vertically on the shifter console. In my car, the plastic piece just sits up in there and isn't held in very tight so it rattles under acceleration and speed. I dont think about it anymore though, but it drives my girlfriend crazy. I guess she could always walk....

Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 PM

To Black86Vette.I do not have to lay off any stuff,my friend.Just about every single Vette ever built has suffered from assembly quality issues.I myself do not like it,but that is the nature of the beast.At least you're not driving an '86 Ferrari.You would be suffering from a LOT worse than you think you would in your own car.How about at least 3500 dollars to replace a clutch?Off and on A/C,power windows,electrical gremlins,hell,you name it.Our car has a few rattles,they ALL do,young or old.So what?At least they will always be cheaper to fix and mantain,and still,we can drive and enjoy them,can't we?That's part of the reason theVette is a special car with one hell of a load of charm.Little things we endure simply because we love 'em.And it can ALL be fixed.No matter how long it takes.Even you and I can fix them.Your friend,Joe.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:13 AM

I agree. As much as i could complain about my vette, my friend has to pay $80 each just for the little emblems that go on his porshe. And a liitle oil leak that he has, well over $1000. I couldnt imagine owning something like that.

Quick Reply: dash rattle