Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Door Lock Actuator question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Default Door Lock Actuator question

I had a keyless entry system installed on my '92 and I was told I need a passenger side door lock actuator. Anyone know how to do this repair, how difficult it is and how much I can expect to pay for parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a Helms manual ordered but have not got it yet. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Door Lock Actuator question

Actuator's run about 80-100 bucks new. Don't get a rebuilt one, because the job is a little tedious to do. Have to pull door panels (inner and outer), drill out the rivets that hold the actuator to the door frame and if you don't have the big rivet gun to do 3/8 rivets, need to beg, borrow or steal (j/k) one, because you don't want to bolt it in cause the bolts will eventually loosen up. You can probably change one out in a couple of hours. [8D]

Old 04-01-2006, 12:08 AM

Thanks Mech! ( I knew I could count on you)

Old 04-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Anytime. Glad to be of help. Always like to pass on knuckle skinnin stuff. [8D]

Old 04-01-2006, 05:49 PM

Hey Leesvette - A question on the installation of the keyless entry. I am looking to install a keyless entry on my 92 also. What brand of system did you install? Thanks for the info.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:38 PM

It was a cheap system - Auto Page.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks LeesVette. I would like to install one in my 92 and hoping to find an aftermarket system that works. One last question - did you encounter any major problems when installing? Thanks again for the information.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:06 PM

I had it installed by a "professional" That is an oxymoron - now when you use it to unlock the "door" since the passenger side isn't working it sets off the "panic" mode (horn starts blasting, ligths flash) and it doesn't unlock the door! I have to get the key in the lock and when I turn the key in the lock the alarm does shut down so I would say I have a few "bugs in the system" to say the least! I have to get it back in the shop - soon! When you lock it with the keyless - the door chime doesn't stop pinging and the parking/fog/running lights won't quit flashing. This thing is so sick and screwed up it doesn't know if it should roll down its socks or take a ****.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

You should have someone with a scantool capable of reading body codes check your passlock system. We have a Tech 2 scanner for GM vehicles which works fine, but someone who has knowledge of the passlock system. You may have a bad door switch or a bad ignition key reader. Have it checked to try and avoid the "shotgun" approach to fixing it. [sm=badidea.gif]

Old 04-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Okay, I got to ask - what is the "shotgun" approach?

Quick Reply: Door Lock Actuator question