Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Door Lock Actuator question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Default RE: Door Lock Actuator question

Don't mean to butt in to this thread but I am guessing that the shotgun approach is very similar to the sledge hammer aproach, if you get my meaning. Just a guess though. LOL

Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

LOL. Shotgun approach is throw a bunch of parts at it and hope it fixes it. I couldn't stay in business very long like that. [8D]

Old 04-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Ok, we settled that LOL. When you said shotgun aproach, the first thing that came into mind was destroying the object in question with a shotgun. I suppose my reaction was out of frustration for the problems that my car is having. Sometimes I wish I could blast it with a shotgun.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Believe me, I have had that sentiment many times with many different vehicles around my shop. "A shotgun with 00 buck shot would sure cure that." [:@]

Old 04-05-2006, 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Believe me, I have had that sentiment many times with many different vehicles around my shop. "A shotgun with 00 buck shot would sure cure that." [:@]

With both barrel's!

Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 AM

One thing I did find out and that is that when I push the electric door lock switch on either door it does sound like it locks but doesn't. So it does seem to have power. Is this still the actuator or the little plastic clip on the rod?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the actuator has a rod that has a double bend in it on one end and uses a plastic clip to hold it to the door latch rod. Sounds like the rod has come loose if you can hear it locking and unlocking, but not actually performing. Either that or the mechanisim on the latch assembly has problems.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Well, the actuator has a rod that has a double bend in it on one end and uses a plastic clip to hold it to the door latch rod. Sounds like the rod has come loose if you can hear it locking and unlocking, but not actually performing. Either that or the mechanisim on the latch assembly has problems.
I would assume that either of these would be easier to fix than the actuator? I have my Helms' manual on order but still have not got it. Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 04-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry, but to install the rod or latch, it still is a quite the little job. On Chevy trucks, it's nothing, on Corvette's, ............. argh! [:'(]

Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 AM

Update on keyless entry - Mech was right (as usual) they didn't need any new parts to fix it. They scannned it and corrected the problem. I don't know what they did or if it threw any codes (wife picked it up). It is a little "slow" when you lock it but it works good. Now I just have to fix the passenger side door lock.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Actuator question