Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Engine Cleaning

Old 12-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Default Engine Cleaning

Sorry to be asking so many questions buy I'm trying to learn about the first Corvette I purchased. A 1990 C4 Roadster. I want to clean the enigine prior to adding some chrome. It's a L98 engine so I'd like to make it alittle easy on the eyes. Any suugestions as far as how and what to use to get the dirt off safely? Also any thoughts on what to add for accessories. Looks to me like the plastic Corvette covers are not an option. Like I said soory to be asking more questions. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Engine Cleaning

Well, first off clean the engine while it is cool and not hot. For degreasing use a CITRUS based cleaner. Do not use Simple Green if you want a nice looking engine because it will stain aluminum and turn plastic and rubber parts white. Take the citrus cleaner and spray it on the greasy / dirty parts and let it sit for a few minutes and then aggitate the grease / dirt with a parts cleaning brush. Then hose off the excess with a regualr garden hose. For lightly dirty parts, plastic parts, and rubber parts, I use Poorboy's Spray and Wipe along with a terry cloth. After I have the engine all nice and clean then I go over all of the rubber and plastic peices with one of three items...Either Poorboy's Bold N' Bright, Poorboy's Trim Restore, or Poorboy's Natural Look. Take caution to not soak electrical components and not to get water into the intake.
I have some killer pics of a before and after of a Civic I did a couple years back but it is on my home PC. If I can remember I will post the pics tonight.