Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Engine problems on my C-4

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Default Engine problems on my C-4

Don't know if anyone out there is familiar with this issue but I could use some feedback. Lately, after my engine has warmed up and I turn it off and then later restart it, I find that quite often a large cloud of smoke billows from the tail pipes and as I begin to drive away the whiteish smoke continues for a time. This ususally occurs when I have difficulty restarting the vehicle. Yet, even when the car has been warmed up, but it starts ok (in other words, no repeated attempting to restart the car) then I do not see any smoke from the exhaust. The smoking more often occurs when I have had a difficult time starting the vehicle. I should imagine that if it was oil-specific smoke (i.e., from bad rings, etc.) the smoke would be constant and billowing out all the time...not just occasionally. This smoke seems to me to be more fuel related....dirty injectors? bad fuel filter? Anyway, this is a quick reference to the problem and you can ask me questions for more info.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Possible blown head gasket?

Do you get black smoke out at any time or always white?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Viscount, Thanks for your response. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Just now getting back to the forum. Anyway, in response to your question about the type of smoke that is observed when warm starting, it is always whitish smoke...never black. My oil pressure is always up around 65 psi (drops some of course when idling, etc.) As I said before, it doesn't seem to smoke on every start....never when cold....usually when engine has been running and is hot. But here again, not a big puff every time. Still open for additional feedback. Carolina Mike

Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM

I'd get a compression check & a cooling system pressure check.

I'm usually wrong, but seems like a head gasket?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 AM

Viscount, Your comments are sincerely appreciated. I truthfully don't doubt the possibility that it could be the head gasket. Of course there is a possibility that it could be the valve stem seals. Obviously, I am hoping for the lesser. But since you last wrote I had set up an appt. with a performance shop that is going to do a dry/wet compression test. That is the best way to get to the heart of the matter. I will take it Monday to the shop....sooooo.....I'll know soon enough. Thanks for your continued imput.