Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Ric
Default RE: fuel injectors

Thats what i am talking about ( fuel building up in the cylinder) thats what I called hyd lock. Is there a way to check for injector leakage other then sending them out? rshiver thanks for the info it helps me allot on my decision on what to purchase. I think I have decided on the disk type to replace with and not bother with sending them out I have dealt with Racetronix in the past and that is what they sell and I have thought very highly of them. (I'm not plugging anybody ) I raced mg and formula fords for many years before I retired. I wish I could have run aC4 on a large closed circuit race track like Mid-Ohio or Road America. I have never driven aC5 or C6 but i know the C4 is very well balanced.

Ric W

Old 10-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Ric, I don't know any other way of checking the injectors, and as far as I know, thats the only way fuel can get into the cylinder and cause hydro lock.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: rshiver

I thought hydraulic lock was when the combustion chamber filled with fuel, and locked the engine up. Water from a cracked head will do the same thing.

Mine did it once, I had to remove the spark plug toblow the fuel out
Yeah - that's what I was thinkin' he meant. I shoulda' said alsoconnecting rod, not pushrod.

2 seconds, and all the fuel pressure is bled off???I've changed a fuel filter after it was settin' all night, and it STILL has pressure. Do you actually get 0 pressure in two seconds after shut-off?

If you think a cylinder is gonna' fill with fuel and cause a 'lock' condition, I think you should NOT turn the key. You can lose a connecting rod, or worse...

Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

There is a procedure for checking fuel pressure leakdown. The way to check injectors is to attach a fuel pressure gauge to the rail. You'll need 2 needle nose vise grips. Block off the return line (smaller line), turn the key on and block off supply line. If your pressure drops, then you have a leaking injector. If you don't have a leaking injector then your leakdown is from either the pressure regulator or the check ball in the fuel pump are bad. You can isolate by using one of the vise grips. Just on return line and pressure drops, check ball is bad. Just on supply line, then regulator is bad. These are assuming your injectors check out.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Ric

Thanks mech very helpful i will take a look into thisas soon as i can. I probably will have to use plugs on the lines thereare no fuel linehoses in the Eng bay. I do have press and return hoses at the tank do you think the test would work pinching the hoses way back there?
Thanks Ric W

Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: mech259

There is a procedure for checking fuel pressure leakdown. The way to check injectors is to attach a fuel pressure gauge to the rail. You'll need 2 needle nose vise grips. Block off the return line (smaller line), turn the key on and block off supply line. If your pressure drops, then you have a leaking injector. If you don't have a leaking injector then your leakdown is from either the pressure regulator or the check ball in the fuel pump are bad. You can isolate by using one of the vise grips. Just on return line and pressure drops, check ball is bad. Just on supply line, then regulator is bad. These are assuming your injectors check out.
Does fuel rail pressure drop to 0 when you turn off the key?

If it does, how can you get so much fuel leaked from injectors to cause a lock-up condition in a cylinder? And how come you're supposed to let off fuel pressure before doing a fuel filter change or other fuel line work? All them chilton's and hayne's [joke] books say that the fuel will spray when you breach the line.

If a regulator stops fuel pressure from going above 50 psi, for example, then when you kill the motor and the fuel pump stops pumpin', what happens then to let off the pressure that's still there, which is UNDER 50 psi???

EDIT: I'm thinkin' here - (see the smoke) -
Is the regulator mechanically controlled? Or is it electrical, and it opens up and lets the pressure off when you kill the motor?

That still doesn't explain why you're supposed to bleed off pressure.................................

Old 10-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Ric

Hi CWB
The fuel press drops to about 15 lbs after you turn of the key very quickly and that is not normal. I would like to isolate the reg and injectors like mech suggested but there are no rubber hose lines in the Eng bay.GM calls for a tool for this purpose that goes on thQD on the fuel line. It ismade by Kent Moore but the tool is to much $$ just to check one time. Over $200. There are rubber hoses at the tank just under the fuel door and cap. I might be able to pinch them there I will have to check this out. CWB the press reg looks like it is vacuum and it probably returns the fuel to the return line after no Eng vacuum. If the diagram was leaking I would probably have fuel in the vacuum line and I don't. I still think fuel injectors but i am going to try to figure a way to isolate them as mech 859suggested. I have a question on the check valve. Is it actually in the pump and is the ball valve at the top of the tank a rollover valve ?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:47 PM

Ric, you can do what mech said where the rubber lines go into the tank, and the way I understood Mech is, the checkvalve is on the pump itself.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Ric

Thanks rshiver I just replaced the fuel pump last week because it only was getting to 35 lbs. if check valve is in the pump that should be covered. I did see a ball valve at the top of the unit and thought it was the roll overvalve.
Am I allowed to make a suggestion to the threadson ware to purchase items if I'm not connected to the company in anyway?
Thanks Ric W

Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Hey Ric, if you just replaced the pump you can pretty much rule it out as your problem.

I don't think mentioning where you bought a part, or that you got a good deal on so & so, at so & so every now and then,is against the rules, if it is then I'm guilty. I would think as long as you're not trying to promote your own business, or advertising a website or business in your signature, there shouldn't be any problem.

This is what I found in the Forum rules.

Selling or solicitation of ANYTHING in the general forum, by Private Message or in Chat is considered Spam and is not allowed. Anyone found posting excessive links to their websites, or suspected of "sneaky" advertising will be warned and will possibly lose their posting privileges. Please post your private party ads in the Corvette Forums Classifieds forum sections. If you are a business and have a product or service that would be of interest to our members, visit our Advertising/Sponsorship page to learn how you can join our team and help support our community. We offer a variety of low-cost packages that can be of great benefit to your company.[/align][/align][/align]

No promotions of other related sites. There is no problem with occasionally using the name of other sites or even posting a link to a pertinent thread from another site, but repeatedly referring to other related sites is considered "SPAM" and is not allowed. Please have the decency of NOT putting links to them in your signature, profile or have a post, PM or Chat telling our members to come over to another related site. Such activity is ground for removal from signature, and repeated offenses are grounds for being banned.[/align][/align][align=left]You are not allowed to post links that lead to an affiliate program or that in any way earn you something. We consider you earning something if you have an affiliate ID, website, or if you earn money from banner impressions or click-thru's. If you feel that you have a service or product that the members of Corvette Forums can benefit from notify the Administrator.[/align][/align]

[align=left][/align][/align]

Quick Reply: fuel injectors