Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Default fuel pump

Any tips on replacing fuel pump on my 1984?car idles rough. doing tune up tomorrow . car has 49,500 miles.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Default RE: fuel pump

The pump change itself is about as easy as they get for an in-tank pump. Remove the gas door and the rubber insert inside of it and everything that needs to be done becomes self-evident. I'd recommend having a new flange gasket on hand as well as the o-rings needed for it's mounting screws. Pay attention to the strainer and how it's installed. Hopefully you got a new one with your pump. Install it the same way.
It's been awhile so if I've forgotten anything, surely someone will fill in the gaps.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:36 PM

OEM ok ? Or go with aftermarket? I have a gauge what should it be reading when I do the test?

Old 06-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Replacing the fuel pump on a C4 is fairly simple. it is incorporated in the fill tube. First disconnect the negative battery cable. Release the pressure in the fuel line bypressing the schrader valve on the fuel rail. cover the valve with a rag before you depress it so you don't get gas in your face or all over the engine. Remove the 4 screws holding the fuel door and carefully remove the rubber splash guard. disconnect the three hoses noting their locations. Have a few bolts of the correct size ready before hand to plug the hoses after you remove them. Tighten the clamps on the hoses after you have removed the hoses from the pipe as not to loose them. they are a pain to find if they fall inside the rear bumper. Disconnect the plug from the top of the fill plate.Now remove the 11(on my '87)bolts that hold the fill tube unit in place. gently remove the fill being careful not to bend the sending unit float arm as you pull it up. The pump is on the bottom of this unit and replacement of the pump is pretty much self explanatory from there and should come with an instruction sheet in the box. Replacing the unit is just in reverse order. If it's your first time doing it it will probably take you about 25-30 minutes. but next time you will be able to do it in about 10 or 15. I've changed mine three times in 11 months so I'm an old hand at it now and can do it with my dang eyes closed, LOL. This is probably the best design for an in-tank fuel pump I have ever seen. Well I don't think I forgot anything. Good luck with it. Cheers.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 PM

What should be my fuel pressure be??

Thanks for the info...

Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 PM
cwb

You got duplicate threads here tattoo - makes it harder to follow with what's goin' on.

Mods/admin's - can we close one of 'em?

https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_36091/tm.htm

https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_36096/tm.htm

EDIT: Looks like I told you wrong in the other thread, about droppin' the tank.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:37 PM

Sorry for the problems with my posting

Thanks and take care...

Old 06-23-2007, 09:39 PM
cwb

You can find out the proper pressure at the parts retailer - I think. You can also rent a fuel pressure guage at some of the parts retailers.

Don't start buyin' parts blind, to toss at the problem, and hope it fixes it. Too many people do this, and then say, "It's a little better", when it ain't no better whatsoever.

You got air, gas, and fire. Check the air filter, fuel pressure, and plug firing. Emissions lines can make for difficulty (vacuum leaks), but they're last to check.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 PM

I wouldn't change the fuel pump unless you know it's bad. otherwise you would be wasting money.
Rough idle usually means bad ignition components and vacuum leaks.
If you buy a fuel pressure gauge, you will be enlightened.
The computer primes the fuel system by runnning the pump for approx. 20 seconds, you will see that on the gauge. then when the ignition senses engine rotation, the computer turns the pump back on for run fuel. you will also see that. The 84 has a lower fuel pressure, 14-17 psi because it is using throttle bodies.
don't buy a pump from a later car. you will go through more headaches than you will ever be able to remember.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: coupeguy2001

I wouldn't change the fuel pump unless you know it's bad. otherwise you would be wasting money. Rough idle usually means... vacuum leaks.
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! That's exactly what I'm sayin'.

But it's more fun to pull the trigger on yer fully automatic a$$ault wallet, and spray the problem with brand new .50 cal sub-machinegun, wrench-guided smartparts, and see if that kills (or wounds) the real problem [sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=violent053.gif], which of course, it don't...

Quick Reply: fuel pump