Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Default fuel pump relay

sorry guys but yes i am a newbie...i was told to go and replace my fuel pump relay on my 95, so i went into my chiltons manual to see where it was located and it just told me it was under the hood on the passenger side somewhere and never went into any dept on where or by what, then i found a book on a 93 and it says that it is located on the driver's side under the dash....can someone help me out and tell me where this dang thing is PLEASE.

THANX MATT

Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Default RE: fuel pump relay

I don't know first hand where it's at on a 95, I own an 85, but I did find this on another site. I don't know how accurate this info is, it's for a 94 but I guess you can look and see.

The fuel pump relay is located under the dash on the passenger side. You will have to remove the lower dash panel. Start by removing the air/heat vent by popping the center of the vent out and there will be two screws (Torques head) holding the vent in place, once the screws are removed the vent will pop out. Remove the side panel around and covering the fuses open and remove the fuse panel door you will see three screws that hold the side panel. under the side panel there are two screws. After the side panel and the two screws are removed there are three nuts (10mm) where the air/heat vent was once removed the under dash panel can be removed carefully. Once the panel is loose disconnect the light and the panel can be set aside, you will see a small black box you will have to remove the cover and it does not tell you which one of the relays is the fuel pump relay. Good Luck.
I did read on another article that it's the center relay

Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM

i will check and see....thanks for your input i will let you know how it turns out....also i have another question my abs light and my asr light are both lit up on my center info panel. I have a little computer that is labeled "BCM (center dash)" that i purchased, now my question is does the center dash computer deal with the abs and/or the asr? cause i know that there is another computer that is behind the drivers seat in the storage compartment that is connected to the accumulator.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 PM

If your ABS and ASR lights are on you need to check the wheel sensors, make sure they don't have a lot of brake dust build up, you'll probably have to pull the wheels off to do this. Make sure they're not loose, or have any broken wires. Not sure, but you may have to disconnect the battery for a minute or two to reset the lights.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: rshiver

I don't know first hand where it's at on a 95, I own an 85, but I did find this on another site. I don't know how accurate this info is, it's for a 94 but I guess you can look and see.

The fuel pump relay is located under the dash on the passenger side. You will have to remove the lower dash panel. Start by removing the air/heat vent by popping the center of the vent out and there will be two screws (Torques head) holding the vent in place, once the screws are removed the vent will pop out. Remove the side panel around and covering the fuses open and remove the fuse panel door you will see three screws that hold the side panel. under the side panel there are two screws. After the side panel and the two screws are removed there are three nuts (10mm) where the air/heat vent was once removed the under dash panel can be removed carefully. Once the panel is loose disconnect the light and the panel can be set aside, you will see a small black box you will have to remove the cover and it does not tell you which one of the relays is the fuel pump relay. Good Luck.
I did read on another article that it's the center relay
That's good info according to the 95 FSM

Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: dfwgsx

i will check and see....thanks for your input i will let you know how it turns out....also i have another question my abs light and my asr light are both lit up on my center info panel. I have a little computer that is labeled "BCM (center dash)" that i purchased, now my question is does the center dash computer deal with the abs and/or the asr? cause i know that there is another computer that is behind the drivers seat in the storage compartment that is connected to the accumulator.
You shud top off the brake reservoir,just a little low can cause a light.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:32 PM
cwb

i was told to go and replace my fuel pump relay on my 95,
Why?

Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM

cause once my car gets heated up after i let it sit for about 30 minutes or so it takes a couple turns of the key to get it to finally start, then once it starts i get this big whiff of fuel, someone told me it could be the fuel pump relay

Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 AM

I doubt that the pump relay is bad. You more than likely have some injectors leaking down after you shut the engine off, it accumulates in the cylinders causing a rich condition when you try to restart. Connect a pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail, turn the ignition on and let the pressure come up and stop (note what the pressure is) . Crank the engine (note what the pressure is), then shut the engine off, watch the gauge and seehow fastthe fuel pressure drops. Let us know what you find out.

Rod

Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
cwb

cause once my car gets heated up after i let it sit for about 30 minutes or so it takes a couple turns of the key to get it to finally start, then once it starts i get this big whiff of fuel, someone told me it could be the fuel pump relay
Yeah...

That's possible, but I wouldn't drop $$$ blindly, without confirmation.

Leakin' injectors has been observed on tons of TPI's. If it behaves exactly as you say above, you'll get a heavy black exhaust at startup, for just a moment. Get someone to pull the trigger for ya', while ya' watch the exhaust. Also if ya' got a leaky injector(s), how long does the pump 'whine', when you turn the key to 'start'? WITHOUT ACTUALLY STARTING THE MOTOR???

Sounds also like there might be evaporative cannister/emissions control leaks in the plumbing.

Quick Reply: fuel pump relay