Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Default RE: fuel pump relay

CWB, no when its cold it turns over like 2 maybe 3 times then it starts. See about a year ago when we first got it, it would start like insantly. See i have replaced injectors and FPR. I replaced the fuel filter awhile ago but before i got the car it had sat for a little while, Maybe its already clogged?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: dfwgsx

CWB, no when its cold it turns over like 2 maybe 3 times then it starts. See about a year ago when we first got it, it would start like insantly. See i have replaced injectors and FPR. I replaced the fuel filter awhile ago but before i got the car it had sat for a little while, Maybe its already clogged?
Wow. I don't know. This is a closed-loop condition - slow start when cold. I gotta' defer to mech there...

Closed-loopis only air fuel fire - nothing else.

And on a warm start, you smell gas? post 8
Strong?
EVERY time?

And you said it used to fire immediately... post 13

Mech - what do you know about asynchronous injection? post 27 - 1st page -1st column?Could he have that condition?
Never mind; new injectors...

Okay - maybe I was a little hasty on the normal exhaust tips gettin' dark. Maybe this is a weak spark throughout all 8 holes. Is the idle smooth, when warm? Completely smooth, and steady?

Weak spark? I don't know how to test strength of spark...

Mech said once that throttle body butterflies can hang up with carbon deposits. I've had 2 GM's do that, but not vette TB's. Does the pedal hang comin' off idle, when ya' go?

And how many miles on yer box there?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. I don't know. This is a closed-loop condition - slow start when cold. I gotta' defer to mech there...

That's open loop. Closed loop is for fine tuning fuel control.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
cwb

I think it's fire; not gas. But fuel pressure gets checked at idle with vacuum, idle with vacuum disconnected from the regulator, and WOT. For this one you need some extension hose, and tape the guage to the windshield, and drop the hammer.

Fire test I don't know...

Old 10-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Weak spark? I don't know how to test strength of spark...
A spark checker stresses coil to a max of 20 kv. If it has a blue spark across a spark checker, then the coil is good.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: mech259

That's open loop. Closed loop is for fine tuning fuel control.

[sm=smiley26.gif]D'oh!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:36 PM

so what if the spark isn't blue? by coil do you mean optispark? I took off my throttle body air duct boot and looked into the TB at the butterflies the other day and in front of the butterflies there is like this wet grease of some kind i dont know where it came from but if i rub my finger over it, it just comes off

Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 PM
cwb

so what if the spark isn't blue? by coil do you mean optispark? I took off my throttle body air duct boot and looked into the TB at the butterflies the other day and in front of the butterflies there is like this wet grease of some kind i dont know where it came from but if i rub my finger over it, it just comes off
Do you do a K&N, to give grease on the TB inlet?

The EGR feed is behind the butterfly - ain't it?
D, check out the questions in post 42 for summin' up what we got here...

Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 PM

no i dont have a k&n.

-Would that mean that the EGR valve was bad if there is carbon deposits? What im trying to see is why is there grease in front of the butterflies.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:18 PM
cwb

no i dont have a k&n.

-Would that mean that the EGR valve was bad if there is carbon deposits? What im trying to see is why is there grease in front of the butterflies.
An over-oiled K&N could account for the grease deposit in front of the TB.

The EGR feed is behind the butterfly, I THINK, so it wouldn't account for the deposit in front of the butterfly. Some carbon and grease deposit from the EGR is normal, but not in front of the TB butterfly.

Quick Reply: fuel pump relay