Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Default RE: fuel pump relay

Heck, that would be way too expensive for me too, dfwgsx.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: rshiver

I'm sure cwb knows more about this than I do, but I think they came stock with 22lb, he can correct me if I'm wrong.From what I understand, 24lb will work on a stock motor too, but would probablydo better on a slightly modified motor. Plus, I think the aftermarket 24lb are cheaper than the factory 22lb.
Oh come now Rodney- you've solved more threads than I have here...

dfw - the leaky injectors might or might not make for a rich burn - I'm not sure. But black tips are completely normal. You can still tell alot by watchin' the burn.

Did you have any problems doin' hot re-starts in the middle of summer? If not, your injectors are probably OK. If you did have problems on re-starts, you might have a pretty good leak, and need to replace them. One of the other guys might know about the ohms variation of the injectors...

Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 AM

yea it still had problems. I should be recieving the injectors and installing them this weekend. I will let ya'll know how it goes.

THANX MATT

Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 PM

well i installed them tonight and they only helped a little if any. Any other ideas guys, please?lol

Old 10-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked spark? What kind of shape are your spark plugs in also? Are they gas fouled? Also, if you can, need to check O2 readings @ idle and @ cruising speed. I'm assuming there are no trouble codes.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:57 AM

I can tell you guys that I have two leaking injectors andanother on its way out. My car does exactly as stated before. Starts like a new car when cold and struggles the rest of the day. I have learned that ifI hit the pedel for a sec the rest of the day it helps clear out the leaked gas and it starts faster. Replacing my injectors will be a winter project for sure. Now if we could only figure out which replacement injector is the best cost effective way to go. Everyone seems to havea strong different opinion about this subject. Maybe Mech will steer us in the right direction.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 AM
cwb

Here's a little more info on what to check in injectors - end of first page, beginning of second...

Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM

So it's still doing the same thing it was originally doing?

ORIGINAL: dfwgsx

cause once my car gets heated up after i let it sit for about 30 minutes or so it takes a couple turns of the key to get it to finally start, then once it starts i get this big whiff of fuel, someone told me it could be the fuel pump relay
I'm going to throw this out there and hopefully Mech will let us know if it's possible or not.

Is it possible to have a bad temp sensor that's not letting the ECM know the engine is hot, instead, it's enriching the fuel mixture as if the engine is cold?

--------

Another question for Mech....My 85 has a9th injector, a cold start injector, how does that system work?

The reason I'm asking is, when I bought the car, it had sat up for a while, butI know the motor ran fine when it was parked because I was the last one to drive it when it was parked.It sat for about a year. I finally bought the car, when I went to crank it the first time the motor was locked up, which was baffling because it was running fine when I parked it. So, I pulled all the plugs out and tried to turn it over. When I did, a stream of gas shot out of the # 5 cylinder. The car has sat for long periods of time since then, but it has never locked up like that since..

I guess what I'm asking is, isit possible the cold start injector is leaking? it's located almost right on top if the #5 cylinder, is it possible the cylinder filled with gas from the cold start injector? or, could a bad temp sensor cause the ECM to treat the motor as if it were cold and activating the cold start injector when the engine is hot?

I do appreciate your knowledge Mech.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: rshiver

--------

Another question for Mech....My 85 has a9th injector, a cold start injector, how does that system work?

I do appreciate your knowledge Mech.
When the starter is engaged and the coolant temperature is less than 100 deg F, the cold start injector provides a spray of fuel, of 8 seconds duration max, to each cylinder via a air distribution system built into the intake manifold. If the engine temperature is greater than 100 deg F, the cold start injector is disabled by the cold start switch...

http://fuelinjection.com/
Go to the left, click 'GM Port Injection', scroll down to 'calibrators', 3rd paragraph.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 AM

Lots of good info there cwb, thanks for posting the link.

If the ECM doesn't get a signal from the temp sensor to let it know it's above 100 degrees, I wonder if the cold start injector is activated even though the engine is hot. Wouldn't that cause a rich, and/or hard start condition?

Quick Reply: fuel pump relay