Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Getting Ready for Winter in Utah

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Default Getting Ready for Winter in Utah

Morning Again!

My husband and I have only owned our Vettes for less than 2 months. Yea, I know we haven't got to drive them much this year, but hey, we got 2 vettes for less than $20k. I guess that just means we'll spend more money fixing them up. Oh Well! At least they run good! We can fix the rest this winter.

Anyway, I need to know what kind of preparations we need to make to get them ready for winter storage. These babies are going to have to last a good long time, so I want to do it right. They will be stored in the unheated garage (the other cars will just have to suffer outside in the cold!).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 09-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Getting Ready for Winter in Utah

Well, storing them in a garage is a good start. I would invest in a good car cover. Covercraft makes great covers. Make sure you get a cover suited for your conditions as well, they make all kinds. I would jack the cars up on jack stands so the tires don't get flat spots, OR put a set of crappy tires on them to sit on. I don't recommend jacking the car up so far that the tires hang because it is not that good to leave your suspension hanging all winter like that. Stuff some rags in the tail pipes will be good to keep out any rodents or anything that could possibly get in there. Just don't forget the rags are there come spring. I would change the oil and after winter change it again as well. It's probably not needed but it can not hurt. The best thing you can do is not let the engine sit idle all winter. Maybe once a week go out and start it up and let it run for a few minutes, with the garage door open for ventalation. This will help keep everything, engine wise, lubed up including seals that could dry out. Also add some Stabil to the gas prior to storing it. That is about all I can think of now.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:44 PM
Default RE: Getting Ready for Winter in Utah

I'm putting mine in a storage shed for the winter as well, so this info really helps. Thank you.