General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

i need advice on winter driving and a couple ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Default i need advice on winter driving and a couple ????

i have a pole green 94 vette and i had recently been in a acident 2 months ago. sadly it has been siting in the garage since then but now i have the money to repair it. what happend is i awas ****in around one day in the rian with a buddy of mine i i decided to hydroplan liek a idiot [:@] i did a 180 into the curb adn i ruined both driver side rims, my rear control arm, and some other parts in the bakc of the car[X(]. so if anyone has everdone anyting liek that could u tell me a range of how nmuch it cost. but anyway since im getting that all replaced and the fact that my mom jsut had a huge hospital stya and bill(not anything to do with the vette haha) im gonna have to drive it in the winter. can u give me a link to some snow tieres or anything that would help in the winter and also what do u guys think of sand bags doesit mess up the suspension that bad. thanks

Old 12-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Default RE: i need advice on winter driving and a couple ????

Well, you know the vette was not really designed as a winter car. I'd get a new set of wheels, makeing them as narrow as possible and fit really narrow section snow tires. Then drive like the road was oiled.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 AM

I agree with Willis. Get a good set of snow tires for starters and take it easy.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:42 AM

That's it, ease the gas when you take off and be very smooth and gentle on the brakes. Years ago, you would always hear the old people say how much better a standard shift is in the snow, as you can ease the clutch and turn the tires slow and gradual. They were referring to back before automatics and fluid-drives. The people who spin the heck out of their tires don't have much of a clue. Good snow tires, studed snows if you're not in the city where they're illegal (ie: NYC) and a soft touch. The heck with extra weight in the vette, that's for pick-ups. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:36 PM

Havnig grown up in the Great White North (Canada for those of you too young to remember SCTV)

The best winter snow and ice tires are the Bridgestone Blizzak, nothing else comes close, better then studs and chains.

Why Blizzaks are so good.

I used them for years and have been amazed by the performance. Similarly to what Lee said, get some STEEL rims say 15 * 7 or 16 * 7 or 16 * 8 on all 4 wheels and you shouldn't have any problems.

For anyone that drives anything in winter, ICE is still slippery no matter what!

Glad I moved to California and don't have to deal with snow and winter any more. [sm=happybounce.gif]

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2006, 11:31 PM

Yeah, we get an average of .65 snowfalls a year here, about an inch or two one time. Just enough to remind my of how much I REALLY HATE that white stuff.

It was 60 degrres and sunny all day today.