Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Default RE: Hard Starting

Umm, i havent checked any of that mech. You are almost speaking french to me lol. But i did find out that there is Oil on the inside of my block where my spark plugs go. I was told that it comes from when you have a blown/broken valve stem seal and apparently the oil is preventing my car from starting right up. That is what i understand out of the whole situation. I could be wrong though. But, when i took my car to the guy taht did all of this work today, he told me that the seals arent blown/broken, he said that they valve stems arent sitting right on the valves or something like that. I think he said valves. Anyway... does that sound right to you mech? I just need some help with this... its getting ridiculous

Thanks
Matt

Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

A dead giveaway of valve stem seals is a puff of blue smoke upon engine startup. I have never heard of bad valve seals causing no start condition. Sorry about the French (LOL), but you need to check spark and injector pulse. We have an old saying in my industry, They all have to suck, squeeze, pop, and spit.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 AM

Haha, well ive personally never heard of it either but i was told that when that gets taken care of, i should change the spark plugs back to ACDelco's and stay away from the Bosch's i have in there now and also change the crappy wires that the shop i took it to put in there. The Corvette guy i took it to said that if that doesnt take care of the starting problem, i should take it to him and i should have him check the distibutor. I hope it isnt the distributor cause thats EXPENSIVE... lol.

Now, I have noticed this and i dont know if this is just typical or what, but when i relieve the pressure from my fuel system (a.k.a. i take the fuel pump fuse out and run the engine until it cuts off from lack of fuel) and then do whatever i am doing to it and then put the fuse back in and start it back up, it always starts almost right away for about 2 or 3 starts. Then i get to driving it around and try and start it again and it hard starts again. Could this maybe point to something other than the problem areas we have already checked or stated as maybe being a problem?

Old 09-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

That really sounds like a hot soak coil problem. That is why you ought to get you a spark checker (they are cheap) and check your spark. It is really getting into an area now where I would use a lab scope to start checking voltage patterns on dist sensors. Another way to check functionality of the distributor is take a 12v test light, clip the lead to 12v positive, touch the probe end to the negative side of the coil and see if it pulses in the no starting episode. [8D]

Old 09-22-2006, 08:33 PM

Hey guys!

I had the exact same problem on my '87 work-in-progress 2 years ago. Everyone kept trying to get very technical with me. Easy enough to do LOL

Anyways, turned out to be a bad starter... A little hard to replace by yourself. But, cheap enough[8D]

My 2 cents. Best of luck to ya!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 PM

Well i figured it might be the starter, but i was told that if it was cranking over, then its not the starter because it is starting, just not right away. I am hoping that when my mechanic fixes the valve seal problem, it will take care of it. I am pretty sure that it might take care of it because for the first few days after i had my motor rebuilt, it started right up everytime. Then after about 3 days, it started taking quite a while to start. From what i gather from the situation, i would assume that it took a while for the oil to make its way through the seals into the spark plug wire holes and then once it did, it just got in the way of me trying to start my car and so now it takes a while to start. Only time will tell. If thats not the problem, its no big deal to me because he is fixing everything on my motor for free. I will update you guys in a few days... maybe even tomorrow.

Matt

Old 09-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I was wondering. could it be the starter solenoid? mine does the same thing. on the old school cars if the solenoid was bad it wouldn't conduct well after it was hot.and the least little draw on the brand new battery kills it. if the solenoid is bad it could draw major amps. just a thought

Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 AM

well that could be the problem, but it doesnt only do it when the engine is hot. I go to bed and then wake up for work the next morning about 7 or 8 hours later and it hard starts again. I looked in my haynes manual to trouble shoot it but i dont remember exactly what it said. I will look again when i get my car back.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I'm confused. Is the engine turning over but not lighting up after hot soak?

Old 09-23-2006, 07:16 PM

Well, you can hear the engine trying to start. The starter it trying to crank it up but then the engine doesnt fire up for about 5 or 6 seconds. It doesnt matter wether it is hot or cold. It just takes a while to start.

Quick Reply: Hard Starting